Early Retirement and Economic Incentives
AbstractIn Norway, early retirement programmes have gradually reduced the retirement age from 67 to 62 for a majority of the labour force. Based on micro data for 1990 and 1992, we estimate a competing-risk model with three states: full retirement, partial retirement/part-time work and full-time work. We then use the estimated model in simulations to study how financial incentives can be strengthened to extend working life. Financial incentives, educational background and industry affiliation are found to influence retirement behaviour. For low and medium incomes, the tax system shifts the incentives heavily towards early retirement and, in particular, towards partial retirement combined with part-time work. Copyright 2000 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 102 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Brinch & Erik Hernæs & Steinar Strøm, 2001.
"Labour Supply Effects of an Early Retirement Programme,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
463, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brinch, Christian & Hernæs, Erik & Strøm, Steinar, 2002. "Labour Supply Effects of an Early Retirement Programme," Memorandum 33/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 2002.
"Gender Differences in Early Retirement Behaviour,"
IZA Discussion Papers
522, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erik Hernæs & Zhiyang Jia & Steinar Strøm, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects of Sectoral Shocks in Germany, the U.K. and, the U.S," CHILD Working Papers wp04_03, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Hernæs, Erik & Zhu, Weizhen, 2009. "Pension Entitlements and Wealth Accumulation," Memorandum 12/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Fredriksen & Nils Martin Stølen, 2005. "Effects of demographic development, labour supply and pension reforms on the future pension burden," Discussion Papers 418, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Iskhakov, Fedor, 2008. "Dynamic Programming Model of Health and Retirement," Memorandum 03/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Mona Larsen & Peder J. Pedersen, 2008.
"Pathways to early retirement in Denmark, 1984-2000,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(5), pages 384-409, September.
- Larsen, Mona & Pedersen, Peder J., 2005. "Pathways to Early Retirement in Denmark, 1984-2000," IZA Discussion Papers 1575, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vare, Minna, 2005. "Timing of the Early Retirement Decisions of Farming Couples," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24412, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hernaes, Erik & Markussen, Simen & Piggott, John & Vestad, Ola L., 2013.
"Does retirement age impact mortality?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 586-598.
- Erik Hernæs & Zhiyang Jia & Steinar Strøm, 2001.
"Retirement in Non-Cooperative and Cooperative Families,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
476, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hærnes, Erik & Jia, Zhiyang & Strøm, Steinar, 2005. "Retirement in Non-Cooperative and Cooperative Families," Memorandum 15/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Vare, Minna, 2005. "Spousal Effect and Timing of Farmers' Early Retirement Decisions," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24696, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Holen, Dag S., 2007. "It Ain't Necessariy So," Memorandum 19/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Ola Lotherington Vestad, 2012. "Labour supply effects of early retirement provision," Discussion Papers 717, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Vestad, Ola Lotherington, 2013. "Labour supply effects of early retirement provision," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 98-109.
- Kyrre Stensnes & Nils Martin Stølen, 2007. "Pension Reform in Norway. Microsimulating effects on government expenditures, labour supply incentives and benefit distribution," Discussion Papers 524, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.