Rent Control and Prices of Owner-Occupied Housing
AbstractWe examine the relation between rent control and prices of owner-occupied housing in the presence of different qualities of housing. While a rent ceiling and the price of condominiums are substitutes if housing is undifferentiated, it is shown that this is not necessarily the case when housing differs in quality. A complete dismantling of rent control may in fact increase the price of condominiums. Copyright 2000 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 102 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
Other versions of this item:
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Rationing; Licensing
- D49 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Arnott, 1995. "Time for Revisionism on Rent Control?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 99-120, Winter.
- Jakob Roland Munch & Michael Svarer, .
"Rent Control and Tenancy Duration,"
Economics Working Papers
2001-7, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jos Van Ommeren & Marnix Koopman, 2010.
"Public Housing and the Value of Apartment Quality to Households,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-085/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Van Ommeren, Jos & Koopman, Marnix, 2011. "Public housing and the value of apartment quality to households," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 207-213, May.
- Bloze, Gintautas & Skak, Morten, 2009.
"Rent control and misallocation,"
Discussion Papers of Business and Economics
7/2009, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
- Daniel K. Fetter, 2013.
"The Home Front: Rent Control and the Rapid Wartime Increase in Home Ownership,"
NBER Working Papers
19604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Fetter, 2013. "The Home Front: Rent control and the rapid wartime increase in home ownership," Discussion Papers 13-005, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2010085 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.