Accounting for Nonmarket Household Production within a National Accounts Framework
AbstractThe satellite accounts illustrated in this paper reflect the household's role as a producer and an investor in durables as well as a consumer by modifying the NIPA's to (1) incorporate the value of nonmarket (unpaid) household work into GDP; and (2) treat expenditures on consumer durables as investment and measure the value of the services those durables provide. Additionally, an Input-Output (I-0) model highlights the household's functions as a producer and investor in much greater detail for the year 1992 by incorporating a household industry for each time-use activity and by showing the inputs to and outputs from each household industry's production. Copyright 2000 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ajit Zacharias, 2011.
"The Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being, Great Britain, 1995 and 2005,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_668, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Selcuk Eren & Thomas Masterson & Edward Wolff & Ajit Zacharias, 2011. "The Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being, Great Britain, 1995 and 2005," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_667, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Reuben Gronau & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2003.
"Time Vs. Goods: The Value of Measuring Household Production Technologies,"
NBER Working Papers
9650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reuben Gronau & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2006. "Time Vs. Goods: The Value Of Measuring Household Production Technologies," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(1), pages 1-16, 03.
- Katharine G. Abraham, 2005. "Distinguished Lecture on Economics in Government—What We Don't Know Could Hurt Us: Some Reflections on the Measurement of Economic Activity," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 3-18, Summer.
- Carol A. Corrado & Charles R. Hulten, 2013. "Financial Intermediation in the National Accounts: Asset Valuation, Bubbles, and Tobin′s q," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Wealth and Financial Intermediation and Their Links to the Real Economy National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward N. Wolff & Ajit Zacharias & Hyunsub Kum, 2006. "Net Government Expenditures and the Economic Well-Being of the Elderly in the United States, 1989-2001," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_466, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- J. Steven Landefeld & Shaunda Villones, 2009. "National Time Accounting and National Economic Accounting," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring the Subjective Well-Being of Nations: National Accounts of Time Use and Well-Being, pages 113-123 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Bridgman, 2013. "Home Productivity," BEA Working Papers 0091, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Joachim Merz, 2009.
"Time use and time budgets: Improvements, future challenges and recommendations,"
125, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Joachim Merz, 2009. "Time Use and Time Budgets – Improvements, Future Challenges and Recommendations," FFB-Discussionpaper 78, Research Institute on Professions (Forschungsinstitut Freie Berufe (FFB)), LEUPHANA University Lüneburg.
- Merz, Joachim, 2009. "Time Use and Time Budgets – Improvements, Future Challenges and Recommendations," MPRA Paper 16304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Merz, Joachim, 2009. "Time Use and Time Budgets: Improvements, Future Challenges and Recommendations," IZA Discussion Papers 4358, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Merz, 2009. "Time Use and Time Budge. Improvements, Future Challenges and Recommendations," Working Paper Series of the German Council for Social and Economic Data 85, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- Edward N. Wolff & Ajit Zacharias, 2007. "The Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being United States, 1989-2001," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 443-470, Fall.
- J. Steven Landefeld & Barbara M. Fraumeni & Cindy M. Vojtech, 2005. "Accounting for Nonmarket Production: A Prototype Satellite Account Using the American Time Use Survey," BEA Papers 0056, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Bos, Frits, 2011. "Three centuries of macro-economic statistics," MPRA Paper 35391, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthew D. Atkinson, 2003. "A Computational Routine for Disaggregating Industry Margin Data to Estimate Product Margin Rates," BEA Papers 0030, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- D.P. Doessel & Ruth F.G. Williams, 2012. "The New Welfare Measures," Working Papers 2012.07, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Javier Ferri & María Luisa Moltó Carbonell, 2005.
"Estimation Of An Extended Sam With Household Production For Spain 1995,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2005-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ezequiel Uriel & Javier Ferri & Maria Luisa Molto, 2005. "Estimation of an Extended SAM with household production for Spain 1995," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 255-278.
- Cathleen Zick & W. Bryant & Sivithee Srisukhumbowornchai, 2008. "Does housework matter anymore? The shifting impact of housework on economic inequality," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Bos, Frits, 2009. "The National Accounts as a Tool for Analysis and Policy; History, Economic Theory and Data Compilation Issues," MPRA Paper 23582, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.