Between Group Inequality and Targeted Transfers
AbstractThis paper provides two extensions to the group decomposition of the Gini index by S. Yitzhaki and R. I. Lerman (1991). First, within group, stratification, and between group inequality are analyzed along several dimensions at once. This provides for a better understanding of the determinants of inequality. Second, the impact on the Gini of marginal changes in income or consumption by group is derived. This can be used to evaluate targeted redistributive policies or assess the impact of exogenous shocks by group. The analysis is applied to data from Bangladesh with a focus on the impact of land ownership, education, and occupation on inequality. Copyright 1999 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1984. "A note on the calculation and interpretation of the Gini index," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 363-368.
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel & Françoise Seyte & Michel Terraza, 2005. "Extensions Of Dagum’S Gini Decomposition," Cahiers de recherche 05-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Wodon, Quentin T., 1999.
"Microdeterminants of consumption, poverty, growth, and inequality in Bangladesh,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2076, The World Bank.
- Quentin Wodon, 2000. "Microdeterminants of consumption, poverty, growth, and inequality in Bangladesh," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(10), pages 1337-1352.
- Kwang Soo Cheong, 1999. "Economic Crisis and Income Inequality in Korea," Working Papers 199906, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.