Elderly and Non-elderly in the European Union: A Comparison of Living Standards
AbstractThis paper compares the living standards of the elderly vis-a-vis the rest of the population in EU countries in the late 1980s using the data of household budget surveys. Elderly and nonelderly are compared in terms of consumption expenditure, income, and nonmonetary indicators of welfare. The results show that, in all EU countries, the nonelderly are better-off than the elderly. In some countries the differences in the living standards of the two groups are marginal, whereas in others they are substantial. These differences tend to be larger in the southern European EU countries (with the exception of Spain) and smaller in the northern European EU countries (with the exception of the Unikted Kingdom). Copyright 1996 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 42 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniela Mantovani & Fotis Papadopoulos & Holly Sutherland & Panos Tsakloglou, 2005.
"Pension Incomes in the European Union: Policy Reform Strategies in Comparative Perspective,"
Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP)
0004, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Mantovani, D. & Papadopoulos, Fotis & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, P., 2005. "Pension incomes in the European Union: policy reform strategies in comparative perspective," EUROMOD Working Papers EM5/05, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Mantovani, Daniela & Papadopoulos, Fotis & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2005. "Pension Incomes in the European Union: Policy Reform Strategies in Comparative Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 1537, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Felix Büchel & Joachim R. Frick & Asghar Zaidi, 2004. "Income Mobility in Old Age in Britain and Germany," CASE Papers 089, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- M. Asghar Zaidi & Klaas de Vos, 2002. "Income Mobility of the Elderly in Great Britain and The Netherlands: A Comparative Investigation," Economics Series Working Papers 107, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000.
"How poor are the old? a survey of evidence from 44 countries,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
23141, The World Bank.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000. "How Poor are the Old? A Survey of Evidence from 44 Countries," MPRA Paper 14177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bonsang Eric & Soest Arthur van, 2010.
"Satisfaction with job and income among older individuals across European countries,"
059, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Eric Bonsang & Arthur Soest, 2012. "Satisfaction with Job and Income Among Older Individuals Across European Countries," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 105(2), pages 227-254, January.
- Bonsang Eric & Soest Arthur van, 2010. "Satisfaction with job and income among older individuals across European countries," ROA Research Memorandum 011, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Bonsang Eric & Soest Arthur van, 2010. "Satisfaction with job and income among older individuals across European countries," Research Memoranda 059, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Bonsang Eric & Soest Arthur van, 2010. "Satisfaction with job and income among older individuals across European countries," Research Memoranda 011, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.