A Comparison between Actual Distributions of Annual and Lifetime Income: Sweden 1951-89
AbstractThis paper uses register data on tax assessed income from 1951 to 1989 for a representative sample of Swedish men in order to compare the distributions of annual income and 'lifetime' income. It is found that the dispersion of lifetime income is around 35 to 40 percent lower than typical cross-sections of annual income. It is income up to around 30 years of age that mainly explains this discrepancy in the magnitude of dispersions. From the age of 30 until 65 years the correlations between annual and lifetime income are quite high and the dispersion of annual income is not very much higher than the dispersion of lifetime income. An analysis of the evolution of income mobility shows that there is a slight tendency to rising mobility over time. This finding implies that the common approach to study the development of income distribution by using only annual income can be misleading. Copyright 1993 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 39 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph Stiglitz & Jungyoll Yun, 2002.
"Integration of Unemployment Insurance with Retirement Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
9199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. & Yun, Jungyoll, 2005. "Integration of unemployment insurance with retirement insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2037-2067, December.
- Joseph Stiglitz & Jungyoll Yun, 2002. "Integration of unemployment insurance with retirement insurance," Discussion Papers 0203-04, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Charlotte Bartels, 2011.
"Redistribution and Insurance in the German Welfare State,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
419, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Charlotte Bartels, 2012. "Redistribution and Insurance in the German Welfare State," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 132(2), pages 265-295.
- Bartels, Charlotte, 2011. "Redistribution and insurance in the German welfare state," Discussion Papers 2011/25, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo & Lüthen, Holger, 2011.
"Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6020, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lüthen, Holger & Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo, 2012. "Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62074, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Timm Bönke & Giacomo Corneo & Holger Lüthen, 2011. "Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1160, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo & Lüthen, Holger, 2012. "Lifetime earnings inequality in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 8929, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cathal O’Donoghue, 2001.
"Redistribution over the Lifetime in the Irish Tax-Benefit System - An Application of a Prototype Dynamic Microsimulation Model for Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 32(3), pages 191â216.
- Cathal O'Donoghue, 2002. "Redistribution over the Lifetime in the Irish Tax-Benefit System: An Application of a Prototype Dynamic Microsimulation Model for Ireland," Working Papers 0056, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- Giacomo Corneo, 2011. "Work Norms and the Welfare State," CESifo Working Paper Series 3665, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.