Agriculture and the WTO: Next Steps
AbstractThe potential welfare gains from further liberalizing agricultural markets are shown in this paper to be huge, both absolutely and relative to gains from liberalizing textiles or other manufacturing, according to new simulation results of the Global Trade Analysis Project. The probability of the WTO delivering sizeable farm protection cuts in the next round of multilateral trade negotiations would be greater if industrial and service sector negotiations were undertaken simultaneously as part of a comprehensive new round. The immediate challenge for analysts and negotiators is to identify and assess feasible policy packages that facilitate genuine agricultural reform rather than encourage inefficient re-instrumentation of farm support measures. Such assessment will require significant improvements in both analytical tools and databases. Copyright 2001 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laborde Debucquet, David & Martin, Will, 2013.
"Agricultural trade: What Matters in the Doha Round?,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1251, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David Laborde & Will Martin, 2012. "Agricultural Trade: What Matters in the Doha Round?," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 265-283, 08.
- Laborde, David & Martin, Will, 2012. "Agricultural trade : what matters in the Doha round ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6261, The World Bank.
- Howard, Sam & Gow, Hamish R. & Ozer-Balli, Hatice, 2011. "New Zealand's Preferential Trading Arrangements: Implications for the New Zealand Dairy Industry," 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand 115405, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Servaas Storm & J. Mohan Rao, 2002. "Agricultural Globalization in Developing Countries: Rules, Rationales and Results," Working Papers wp71, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Ben Hammouda, Hakim & Karingi, Stephen & Oulmane, Nassim & Lang, Rémi & Sadni Jallab, Mustapha, 2006. "Can Market Access Help African Agriculture?," MPRA Paper 13358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 1999. "The WTO and the millennium round : between standstill and leapfrog," Kiel Discussion Papers 352, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Hoekman, Bernard & Anderson, Kym, 1999.
"Developing country agriculture and the new trade agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2125, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Developing Country Agriculture and the New Trade Agenda," CEPR Discussion Papers 2096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimaranan, Betina & Hertel, Thomas & Keeney, Roman, 2003. "OECD Domestic Support and Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hess, Sebastian, 2005. "An Econometric Model of CGE Simulations," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24713, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ash, Ken, 2005. "Agricultural Policies in Selected OECD Countries: Opportunities for Reform," North American Agrifood Market Integration Workshop II: Agrifood Regulatory and Policy Integration under Stress, May 2005, San Antonio, Texas 17997, Farm Foundation.
- Nordstrom, Hakan, 2001. "Do variable levies beggar thy neighbour?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 403-420, June.
- Bernard Hoekman & Will Martín, 1999. "Some Market Access Issues for Developing Countries in a Millennium Round: Results from Recent World Bank Research," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 36(109), pages 947-978.
- Gayi, Samuel K., 2006. "Does the WTO Agreement on Agriculture Endanger Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa?," Working Paper Series RP2006/60, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2000. "Globalisation, WTO and Sustainable Development," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 48009, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- T. Ademola OYEJIDE, 2000. "Interests And Options Of Developing And Least-Developed Countries In A New Round Of Multilateral Trade Negotiations," G-24 Discussion Papers 2, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Alexandre Gohin & Herve Guyomard & Chantal Le Mou�l, 2006. "Tariff protection elimination and Common Agricultural Policy reform: implications of changes in methods of import demand modelling," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(13), pages 1527-1539.
- McCalla, Alex F., 2001. "What the Developing Countries Want from the WTO," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 2(1).
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal & Beladi, Hamid, 2007. "Protectionary bias in agriculture: A pure economic argument," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 160-164, June.
- Cicero I Limberea, 2011. "Evaluating, taxing and insuring agricultural enterprises," IBSU Scientific Journal, International Black Sea University, vol. 5(1), pages 45-56.
- Lucian Cernat & Sam Laird & Alessandro Turrini, 2003. "How Important are Market Access Issues for Developing Countries in the Doha Agenda?," International Trade 0302004, EconWPA.
- Anderson, Kym, 2000. "Agriculture, Developing Countries, And The WTO Millennium Round," CEPR Discussion Papers 2437, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anania, Giovanni, 2001. "Modeling Agricultural Trade Liberalization. A Review," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20758, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Donald McClatchy, 2001. "The Ongoing WTO Negotiations on Agriculture: Issues and Options for Bangladesh," CPD Working Paper 15, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.