Economic Development and the Relative Price of Nontradables: Global Dynamics of the Krueger-Deardorff-Leamer Model
AbstractThis paper employs a three-factor model of economic development to model forward-looking nontraded investment as a determinant of the relative price of nontradables. A capital-intensity reversal of nontraded output relative to manufactured output--arising from a switch toward a capital-intensive manufacturing technique from a labor-intensive technique--produces a bifurcation in the model's dynamics. The two resulting saddlepath trajectories are each consistent with optimizing behavior and transversality conditions at infinity. History, as embodied in the economy's capital stock, as well as forward-looking expectations determine whether the economy chooses the low-investment or high-investment trajectory. Copyright 1994 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Engel, 1995.
"Accounting for U.S. Real Exchange Rate Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
5394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel, 1999. "Accounting for U.S. Real Exchange Rate Changes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 507-538, June.
- Engel, C., 1996. "Accounting for U.S. Real Exchange Rate Changes," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington, Department of Economics at the University of Washington 96-02, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Engel, C., 1996. "Accounting for U.S. Real Exchange Rate Changes," Working Papers, University of Washington, Department of Economics 96-02, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Vladimir Klyuev, 2004.
"Evolution of the Relative Price of Goods and Services in a Neoclassical Model of Capital Accumulation,"
IMF Working Papers
04/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Vladimir Klyuev, 2005. "Evolution of the Relative Price of Goods and Services in a Neoclassical Model of Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(3), pages 720-730, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.