Optimal Growth and Competitive Equilibrium Business Cycles under Decreasing Returns in Two-Country Models
AbstractThis paper investigates the interlinkage in the business cycles of large-country economies in a free-trade equilibrium. We consider a two-country, two-good, two-factor general-equilibrium model with Cobb-Douglas technologies and linear preferences. We also assume decreasing returns in both sectors. We first identify the determinants of each country's accumulation pattern in autarky equilibrium, and secondly we show how a country's business cycle may spread throughout the world once trade opens. We prove indeed that under free trade, globalization and market integration may generate a contagion of the capital-exporting country's business cycles and thus have destabilizing effects on the capital-importing country. Copyright 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): SI (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
Other versions of this item:
- Alain Venditti & Kazuo Nishimura & Makoto Yano, 2008. "Optimal growth and competitive equilibrium business cycles under decreasing returns in two-country models," Working Papers halshs-00280528, HAL.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atsumasa Kondo & Koji Kitaura, 2012. "International linkage of inflation rates in a dynamic general equilibrium," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 107(2), pages 141-155, October.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Alain Venditti & Makoto Yano, 2013.
"Destabilization Effect of International Trade in a Perfect Foresight Dynamic General Equilibrium Model,"
- Kazuo Nishimura & Alain Venditti & Makoto Yano, 2014. "Destabilization effect of international trade in a perfect foresight dynamic general equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 357-392, February.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Alain Venditti & Makoto Yano, 2013. "Destabilization Effect of International Trade in a Perfect Foresight Dynamic General Equilibrium Model," AMSE Working Papers 1313, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Feb 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.