Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on Prices
AbstractTo analyze the effects of simultaneous tariff reductions by multiple importing countries on prices, we construct a simple three-country model where a good is produced by a monopolist with nonconstant marginal cost and imported by two countries. We compare two representative tariff-reduction formulas: the "fixed-amount" and the "uniform percentage" reductions. The uniform percentage reductions may increase the consumer price in the importing country, whose initial tariff is lower. Thus, importing countries with relatively low tariffs may prefer a bilateral trade agreement to a multilateral one to ensure consumer gains. Copyright � 2008 The Authors; Journal compilation � 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kenji Fujiwara & Ryoma Kitamura, 2013. "A trade and domestic tax reform in imperfectly competitive markets," Discussion Paper Series 099, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Jan 2013.
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2014.
"Pareto-improving tariff-tax reforms under imperfect competition,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 12-20.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2013. "Pareto-improving tariff-tax reforms under imperfect competition," Discussion Paper Series 110, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Oct 2013.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Sugita, Yoichi & Zhao, Laixun, 2008.
"Commercial Policy and Foreign Ownership,"
CCES Discussion Paper Series
2, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2013.
"A Win–Win–Win Tariff–Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(5), pages 857-867, November.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2012. "A Win-Win-Win Tariff-Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition," Discussion Paper Series 83, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Feb 2012.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2013. "Tax Principles and Coordination of Trade and Domestic Policies under Imperfect Competition," Discussion Paper Series 112, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Nov 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.