Pricing-to-Market Behavior: Japanese Exports to the US, Asia, and the EU
AbstractThe paper examines the pricing-to-market (PTM) behavior of Japanese exporters in the US, Asian, and EU markets. Empirical evidence shows that PTM elasticity is highest to the US market. This matches the intuitive reasoning that the US market is more competitive than the EU and Asian markets for Japanese exporters. Furthermore, PTM elasticities estimated in this paper using expected exchange rates are positive but their amounts are smaller than PTM elasticities estimated by previous studies with actual exchange rates. The difference may be due to the fact that the invoice currency for most Japanese exports is the US dollar. Copyright 2002 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lourdes Moreno Martín & Diego Rodríguez Rodríguez, 2002.
"Pricing to Market at firm level,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
17, European Economy Group.
- Lourdes Martín & Diego Rodríguez, 2004. "Pricing to market at firm level," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(2), pages 302-320, June.
- Kamps, Annette, 2006. "The euro as invoicing currency in international trade," Working Paper Series 0665, European Central Bank.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Marques, Helena, 2012. "Pricing to market with trade liberalization: The role of market heterogeneity and product differentiation in India’s exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 310-336.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuri N. Sasaki & Kiyotaka Sato, 2005. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rate Changes and Macroeconomic Shocks to Domestic Inflation in East Asian Countries," Discussion papers 05020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.