Market News in Commodity Price Theory: Application to the Ethiopian GrainMarket
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of "news" or advance information about futurep roduction on competitive storage behaviour and prices using a structural model of commodity markets. In particular, it generalizes the neoclassical storage model to incorporate information on future harvests, while allowing for seasonal production, two features important to African and other developing country grain markets. The model is first developed to suit the case of the Ethiopian grain markets, and a general model is then stated. The effects on welfare and price variability of the addition of news are discussed, a swell as changes in key demand and uncertainty parameters. The model is shown to replicate some features of the data better than the model without news, particularly the high autocorrelation in price, and performs better in formal estimation. However, it appears that the incorporation of news still fails to explain the extreme seasonal price movements observed. Copyright The Review of Economic Studies Limited, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 71 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xue-Zhong He & Frank H. Westerhoff, 2004.
"Commodity Markets, Price Limiters and Speculative Price Dynamics,"
Research Paper Series
136, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- He, Xue-Zhong & Westerhoff, Frank H., 2005. "Commodity markets, price limiters and speculative price dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1577-1596, September.
- Fulgence J. Mishili & Anna A. Temu & Joan Fulton & J. Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2009. "Consumer Preferences As Drivers Of The Common Bean Trade In Tanzania: A Marketing Perspective," Working Papers 09-02, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Osborne, Theresa, 2005. "Imperfect competition in agricultural markets: evidence from Ethiopia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 405-428, April.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Birru, Yohannes A., 2009.
"Inflation dynamics and food prices in an agricultural economy : the case of Ethiopia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4969, The World Bank.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Ayalew Birru, Yohannes, 2009. "Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in an Agricultural Economy: The Case of Ethiopia," Working Papers in Economics 347, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2007.
"Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 510-521, August.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, . "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E43, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2006. "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," NBER Working Papers 12156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durevall, Dick & Loening, Josef L. & Birru, Yohannes A., 2010. "Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in Ethiopia," Working Papers in Economics 478, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 03 Jun 2013.
- Durevall, Dick & Loening, Josef L. & Ayalew Birru, Yohannes, 2013. "Inflation dynamics and food prices in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 89-106.
- Christophe Gouel, 2013. "Comparing Numerical Methods for Solving the Competitive Storage Model," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 267-295, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.