A Micro-econometric Model of Capital Utilization and Retirement: The Case of the U.S. Cement Industry
AbstractThis paper presents a microeconometric model of capital utilization and retirement. Estimates of a firm's discrete decision problem with regard to an existing piece of capital--whether to operate, hold idle, or retire it--are obtained, in the context of the U.S. cement industry, by solving a discrete-choice stochastic dynamic programming model. The estimates are then used to simulate the effects of product and input price changes, and changes in the size and age of a cement kiln on a firm's propensity to operate, hold idle, and retire a kiln. Copyright 1992 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 59 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001.
"Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, 05.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aguirregabiria, V, 1996.
"Estimation of Dynamic Decision Models with Corner Solutions : A Model of Price and Inventory Decisions,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9602, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- V. Aguirregabir, 1996. "Estimation of Dynamic Decision Models with Corner Solutions: A Model of Price and Inventory Decisions," Econometrics 9603002, EconWPA.
- David Prentice, 1998.
"A Micro-Economic Model of a Short Run Cost Function with Unobserved Heterogeneity,"
1998.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- David Prentice, 1998. "A Micro-Economic Model of a Short Run Cost Function with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Working Papers 1998.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Prentice, David, 2000. "A micro-econometric model of a short run cost function with unobserved heterogeneity," MPRA Paper 28682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rolf Golombek & Arvid Raknerud, 2012. "Exit dynamics of start-up firms. Does profit matter?," Discussion Papers 706, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Magesan, Arvind, 2013. "Euler Equations for the Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural," MPRA Paper 46056, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts, 2003.
"Entrant Experience and Plant Exit,"
NBER Working Papers
10133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arvid Raknerud & Rolf Golombek, 2000. "Exit Dynamics with Rational Expectations," Discussion Papers 291, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Rolf Golombek & Arvid Raknerud, 2005. "Exit Dynamics with Adjustment Costs," Discussion Papers 442, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Arvind Magesan, 2013. "Euler Equations for the Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models," Working Papers tecipa-489, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Klimek, Shawn D. & Roberts, Mark J., 2005. "Exit from regional manufacturing markets: The role of entrant experience," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 399-421, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.