Iterated Elimination of Dominated Strategies in a Bertrand-Edgeworth Model
AbstractThe author considers a Bertrand-Edgeworth model of price competition. Firms have identical and constant marginal costs and finite exogenous capacities. Firms choose prices. The author's interest is in the set of those prices which are left over after the iterated elimination of dominated strategies. The author shows that in two circumstances this set will be close to the set containing only the market-clearing (Walrasian) price: (1) if any n - 1 out of n firms assumed to be in the market have sufficient capacity to cover demand at marginal costs; (2) if any given total capacity is owned by a very large number of very small firms. Copyright 1992 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 59 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2008.
"Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 746-761, May.
- Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2004. "Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-12, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2007. "Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms," MPRA Paper 3353, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giuseppe Moscarini & Marco Ottaviani, 1998.
"Price Competition for an Informed Buyer,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1199, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1992.
"Est-il rationnel d’avoir des anticipations rationnelles?,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 68(4), pages 544-559, dÃ©cembre.
- Guesnerie, R., 1993. "Est-il rationnel d'avoir des anticipations rationnelles ?," DELTA Working Papers 93-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Mariotti, Marco, 2000. "Maximum Games, Dominance Solvability, and Coordination," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 97-105, April.
- Moulin, Hervé & Velez, Rodrigo A., 2013. "The price of imperfect competition for a spanning network," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 11-26.
- Dhillon, A. & Lockwood, B., 1999.
"When are Plurality Rule Voting Games Dominance-Solvable?,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
549, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dhillon, Amrita & Lockwood, Ben, 2004. "When are plurality rule voting games dominance-solvable?," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 55-75, January.
- Erdem Basci & Ismail Saðlam, 2001. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Equilibrium in a Cash-Advance Economy," Departmental Working Papers 0104, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- García Díaz, Antón & Hernán González, Roberto & Kujal, Praveen, 2009. "List pricing and discounting in a Bertrand-Edgeworth duopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 719-727, November.
- Antón García Díaz & Praveen Kujal, 2003. "List Pricing And Pure Strategy Outcomes In A Bertrand-Edgeworth Duopoly," Economics Working Papers we034918, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Roger Guesnerie, 2005. "Strategic substitutabilities versus strategic complementarities: Towards a general theory of expectational coordination?," Working Papers halshs-00590856, HAL.
- Roberts Waddle, 2005. "Strategic Profit Sharing Between Firms: The Bertrand Model," Economics Working Papers we050902, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.