AbstractThis paper analyzes duopolistic price-leadership games in which firms have capacity constraints. The authors show that when capacities are in the range where the simultaneous-move price-setting game (with efficiently rationed demand) yields a mixed-strategy solution the large firm is indifferent between being a leader, a follower, or moving simultaneously. The small firm, while indifferent between being a leader and moving simultaneously, strictly prefers to be a follower. This motivates the discussion of games of timing with ex post inflexible prices in which the large firm becomes an endogenously determined price leader. The authors, thus, provide a game-theoretic model of dominant-firm price leadership. Copyright 1992 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 59 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve Dowrick, 1986. "von Stackelberg and Cournot Duopoly: Choosing Roles," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(2), pages 251-260, Summer.
- Raymond J. Deneckere & Dan Kovenock, 1988.
"Capacity-Constrained Price Competition When Unit Costs Differ,"
861, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Deneckere, R.J. & Kovenock, D., 1994. "Capacity Constrained Price Competition when Unit Costs Differ," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1056, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Raymond Deneckere & Dan Kovenock, 1994. "Capacity-Constrained Price Competition when Unit Costs Differ," Industrial Organization 9411001, EconWPA, revised 15 Nov 1994.
- Levitan, Richard & Shubik, Martin, 1972.
"Price Duopoly and Capacity Constraints,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(1), pages 111-22, February.
- Julio Rotemberg & Garth Saloner, 1985.
388, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1978. "The Equilibrium of Duopoly in a Market of Homogeneous Goods," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 45(179), pages 287-95, August.
- Dixon, Huw, 1987. "The General Theory of Household and Market Contingent Demand," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 55(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Carl Davidson & Raymond Deneckere, 1984.
"Excess Capacity and Collusion,"
675, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Deneckere, Raymond J & Kovenock, Dan, 1992.
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 143-62, January.
- Benoit, Jean-Pierre & Krishna, Vijay, 1987. "Dynamic Duopoly: Prices and Quantities," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 23-35, January.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "First Mover and Second Mover Advantages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 649-53, October.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1982. "Price Leadership: A Theoretical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(193), pages 11-20, February.
- Brock, William A & Scheinkman, Jose A, 1985. "Price Setting Supergames with Capacity Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 371-82, July.
- Dixon, Huw, 1987. "Approximate Bertrand Equilibria in a Replicated Industry," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 47-62, January.
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1986. "Price competition in a capacity-constrained duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 238-260, April.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.