Identification and Estimation of Equivalence Scales under Weak Separability
AbstractThis paper shows that most methods of incorporating demographic variation into separable models can be represented in a form that is identical to Barten equivalence scales, except that the scales themselves depend on the exact mix of goods that comprise each group, as well as on demographic variables. This generalization of Barten scales is shown to be more plausible than ordinary scales; can be used to increase the efficiency of demand system estimation; and can overcome J. Muellbauer's underidentification result for cross-sectional estimation of equivalence scales. Copyright 1989 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 56 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stefan Hoderlein, 2009.
"How many consumers are rational?,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP32/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Heckman, James J. & Matzkin, Rosa & Nesheim, Lars, 2009.
"Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4329, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James J. Heckman & Rosa L. Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2010. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(5), pages 1569-1591, 09.
- James J. Heckman & Rosa L. Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 15226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Mangiavacchi & Luca Piccoli, 2009. "Child welfare and intra-household inequality in Albania," Working Papers 149, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Cherif, Olfa & Ayadi, Mohamed, 2010. "Latent separability and price variation in the estimation of demand System," MPRA Paper 36491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koksal, Aycan & Wohlgenant, Michael, 2013. "Interdependence of Tobacco and Alcohol Consumption: A Natural Experiment Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150459, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Vincenzo Atella & Martina Menon & Federico Perali, 2003. "Estimation of Unit Values in Cross Sections without Quantity Information and Implications for Demand and Welfare Analysis," CEIS Research Paper 12, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Martin Beznoska & Johanna Cludius & Viktor Steiner, 2012. "The Incidence of the European Union Emissions Trading System and the Role of Revenue Recycling: Empirical Evidence from Combined Industry- and Household-Level Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1227, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Martin Beznoska & Richard Ochmann, 2013. "The interest elasticity of household savings: a structural approach with German micro data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 371-399, August.
- Ian Crawford & François Laisney & Ian Preston, 2002.
"Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications,"
IFS Working Papers
W02/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Crawford, Ian & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 2003. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Preston, Ian & Laisney, François & Crawford, Ian A., 2002. "Estimation of Household Demand Systems with Theoretically Compatible Engel Curves and Unit Value Specifications," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-06 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pendakur, Krishna, 1998. "Semiparametric estimates and tests of base-independent equivalence scales," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 1-40, November.
- C. Federico PERALI & Thomas L. COX, 1995. "Abstract Of Issues In Data Management Of Expenditure Surveys: An Example From The Colombian 1984-85 Urban Survey," Staff Papers 389, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2006. "Modeling Heterogeneity," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 650, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koksal, Aycan & Wohlgenant, Michael, 2013. "Pseudo Panel Data Estimation Technique and Rational Addiction Model: An Analysis of Tobacco, Alcohol and Coffee Demands," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150457, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hoderlein, Stefan & Mihaleva, Sonya, 2008. "Increasing the price variation in a repeated cross section," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 316-325, December.
- C. Federico Perali & THOMAS L. COX, 1995. "Issues in Data Management of Expenditure Surveys: An Example from the Colombian 1984-85 Urban Survey," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 389, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Castellon, Cesar E. & Boonsaeng, Tullaya & Carpio, Carlos E., 2012. "Demand System Estimation in the Absence of Price Data: an Application of Stone-Lewbel Price Indices," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124819, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Liu, Kang Ernest & Chern, Wen S., 2003. "Food Demand In Urban China: An Application Of A Multi-Stage Censored Demand System," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21919, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard Ochmann & Stefan Bach & Martin Beznoska, 2012. "The Retrospective Evaluation of Elements of the VAT System: The Case of Germany; Research Project on Behalf of the European Commission, TAXUD," DIW Berlin: Politikberatung kompakt, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, volume 63, number pbk63.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.