Uncertainty and the Choice of Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industrie s
AbstractThis paper investigates the design of trade policies in an uncertain world. Governments in two countries select between direct quantity controls and subsidies in an attempt to shift profits in favor of domestic, imperfectly competitive firms. The equilibrium of this policy game depends on the variability of the environment. In a world of certainty, both governments choose to regulate their firms through direct quantity controls. With a sufficient amount of uncertainty, both governments regulate their firms through subsidies. This result reflects an important tradeoff between the strategic advantages of direct quantity controls and flexibility gained by the use of subsidies. Copyright 1989 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 56 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
Other versions of this item:
- Cooper, R. & Riezman, R., 1988. "Uncertainty And The Choice Of Trade Policy In Oligopolistic Industries," Working Papers e-88-16, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Antoniou & Phoebe Koundouri & Nikos Tsakiris, . "Information Disclosure Under Different Modes of Regulation," DEOS Working Papers 1015, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Gerda Dewit & Dermot Leahy, 2001. "Rivalry In Uncertain Export Markets: Commitment Versus Flexibility," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1050201, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Dewit, Gerda & Leahy, Dermot, 2004.
"Rivalry in uncertain export markets: commitment versus flexibility,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 195-209, October.
- Dewit, Gerda & Leahy, Dermot, 2001. "Rivalry in Uncertain Export Markets: Commitment versus Flexibility," CEPR Discussion Papers 2771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Murat Usman, 2003.
"Incompletely Informed Policymakers and Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industries,"
2003_06, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Murat Usman, 2004. "Incompletely informed policymakers and trade policy in oligopolistic industries," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(3), pages 283-297, 06.
- Roberto Hernan & Praveen Kujal, 2003.
"Minimum Quality Levels And Import Tariffs,"
Economics Working Papers
we034817, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Hernán, Roberto & Kujal, Praveen, . "Minimum quality levels and import tariffs," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/299, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Yoshino, Hisao, 2011. "Strategic trade policy and non-linear subsidy : in the case of price competition," IDE Discussion Papers 287, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2010.
"Oligopoly and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8172, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2010. "Oligopoly and Trade," Economics Series Working Papers 517, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 2010. "Oligopoly And Trade," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n215-10.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Hung-Yi Chen & Hong Hwang, 2006. "Tariffs versus Quotas under Market Price Uncertainty," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 181-194, April.
- Roberto Hernán & Praveen Kujal, 2004.
"Market Access And Minimum Quality Standards,"
Economics Working Papers
we042608, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Hernán, Roberto & Kujal, Praveen, . "Market access and minimum quality standards," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/317, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Fernando Mesa, 2009. "Piecemeal Oligopoly, Exchange Rate Uncertainty, and Trade Policy," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Garcia Pires, Armando José, 2006. "Losers, Winners and Prisoner's Dilemma in International Subsidy Wars," CEPR Discussion Papers 5979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernardo Moreno Jiménez & José Luis Torres Chacón, 2005.
"Output subsidies and quotas under uncertainty and firm heterogeneity,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2005/24, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Bernardo Moreno & Jose L. Torres, 2007. "Output Subsidies and Quotas under Uncertainty and Firm Heterogeneity," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 6(2), pages 147-160, August.
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 1999. "Strategic policy and international economic integration," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Matloob Piracha, 2004. "Export Subsidies and Countervailing Duties Under Asymmetric Information," Studies in Economics 0410, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Antoniou, Fabio & Tsakiris, Nikos, 2011. "Information and disclosure in strategic trade policy: Revisited," MPRA Paper 32949, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kit Wong & Kong Chow, 1997. "Endogenous Sequencing in Strategic Trade Policy Games Under Uncertainty," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 353-369, October.
- Vargas Andrés José, 2001. "Strategic Interaction of International Markets: An Application to the Dairy Market," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.