Revealed Preference Theory, Ordering and the Axiom of Sequential Path Independence
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the axiomatic foundation of the theory of choice. Describing a choice procedure which one often observes in real life, the author shows that the requirement of path independence of such a procedure is a necessary and sufficient condition for transitive or full rationalization of a choice function. It is shown that the result holds when rationality is identified with different interpretations of the binary relations of preference revealed by a choice function. It is also shown that a weaker version of our path independence condition is both necessary and sufficient for a rational choice. Copyright 1988 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 55 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- He, Junnan, 2012. "A generalized unification theorem for choice theoretic foundations: Avoiding the necessity of pairs and triplets," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-23, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Sengupta, Kunal, 1999. "The Congruence Axiom and Path Independence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 254-266, July.
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Sengupta, Kunal, 2003. "Intransitive indifference and rationalizability of choice functions on general domains," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 311-326, December.
- He, Junnan, 2011. "A Generalization of Sen’s Unification Theorem: Avoiding the Necessity of Pairs and Triplets," MPRA Paper 37094, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- He, Junnan, 2012. "On the Necessity of Pairs and Triplets for the Equivalence between Rationality Axioms," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(31), pages 1-15.
- Taradas Bandyopadhyay, 2011. "Choice procedures and power structure in social decisions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 597-608, October.
- Taradas Bandyopadhyay & Kunal Sengupta, 2006. "Rational Choice and von Neumann– Morgenstern’s Stable Set: The Case of Path-dependent Procedures," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 611-619, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.