Economic Growth with Intergenerational Altruism
AbstractThe authors consider the properties of equilibrium behavior in an aggregative growth model with intergenerational altruism. Various positive properties such as the cyclicity of equilibrium programs and the convergence of equilibrium stocks to a steady state, are analyzed. Among other normative properties, it is established that under certain natural conditions Nash equilibrium programs are efficient and "modified Pareto optimal" in a sense made clear in the paper, but never Pareto optimal in the traditional sense. Copyright 1987 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 54 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6527
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hori, Hajime, 1997. "Dynamic Allocation in an Altruistic Overlapping Generations Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 292-315, April.
- Rustam Ibragimov, 2008. "A tale of two tails: peakedness properties in inheritance models of evolutionary theory," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(5), pages 597-613, October.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Tapan Mitra, 2004.
"Intertemporal Complementarity and Optimality: A Study of a Two-Dimensional Dynamical System,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
543, Econometric Society.
- Tapan Mitra & Kazuo Nishimura, 2005. "Intertemporal Complementarity And Optimality: A Study Of A Two-Dimensional Dynamical System," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(1), pages 93-131, 02.
- Mitra, Tapan & Nishimura, Kazuo, 2002. "Intertemporal Complementarity and Optimality: A Study of a Two-Dimensional Dynamical System," Working Papers 02-06, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Jakub Growiec & Lukasz Wozny, 2010.
"Intergenerational interactions in human capital accumulation,"
National Bank of Poland Working Papers
71, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Wozny Lukasz & Growiec Jakub, 2012. "Intergenerational Interactions in Human Capital Accumulation," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-47, June.
- Woźny, Łukasz & Growiec, Jakub, 2008. "Intergenerational interactions in human capital accumulation," MPRA Paper 10308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Atsue Mizushima & Keiichi Koda, 2007. "Risk Sharing and Growth in the Gifts Economy," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 07-02, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Simon Fan, C., 2005. "Survival of the gene, intergenerational transfers and precautionary saving," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 451-479, April.
- K Blackburn & G P Cipriani, 2002.
"Intergenerational Transfers and Demographic Transition,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
14, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Blackburn, Keith & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2005. "Intergenerational transfers and demographic transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 191-214, October.
- K Blackburn & G P Cipriani, 2002. "Intergenerational Transfers and Demographic Transition," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0218, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Balbus, Łukasz & Reffett, Kevin & Woźny, Łukasz, 2013. "A constructive geometrical approach to the uniqueness of Markov stationary equilibrium in stochastic games of intergenerational altruism," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1019-1039.
- Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "A Tale of Two Tails: Peakedness Properties in Inheritance Models of Evolutionary Theory," Scholarly Articles 2624003, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Nowak, Andrzej S., 2006. "A multigenerational dynamic game of resource extraction," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 327-336, May.
- Arthur J. Robson, 2001. "The Biological Basis of Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 11-33, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.