An Analysis of REIT Security Issuance Decisions
AbstractThis article tests the ability of traditional capital structure theories to explain the issuance decisions of real estate investment trusts (REITs). For issuances made between 1997 and 2006, we find strong support for the market timing theory of capital structure. Controlling for past returns and growth, a REIT is more likely to issue equity when its price-to-net asset value ratio is high. This suggests that REITs issue equity in public markets when the cost of equity capital is lower in the public market than in the private market. Consistent with traditional market timing, REITs are more likely to issue equity after experiencing large price increases. We also find some support for REITs following the trade-off theory of capital structure. REITs are less likely to issue debt when proxies for expected bankruptcy costs are high. Copyright (c) 2009 American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boudry, Walter I. & Kallberg, Jarl G. & Liu, Crocker H., 2013. "Investment opportunities and share repurchases," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 23-38.
- Jamie Alcock & Eva Steiner & Kelvin Tan, 2014. "Joint Leverage and Maturity Choices in Real Estate Firms: The Role of the REIT Status," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 57-78, January.
- Kallberg, Jarl & Liu, Crocker H. & Villupuram, Sriram, 2013. "Preferred stock: Some insights into capital structure," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 77-86.
- Walter Boudry & Jarl Kallberg & Crocker Liu, 2011. "Analyst Behavior and Underwriter Choice," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 5-38, July.
- George Cashman & David Harrison & Michael Seiler, 2014. "Advisor Choice in Asia-Pacific Property Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 271-298, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.