The Accuracy of Owner-Provided House Values: The 1978-1991 American Housing Survey
AbstractThe American Housing Survey (AHS) includes the owner's valuation of the house as a measure of the house's value. If owner-stated values are accurate, the AHS (as well as other survey instruments) can be used by researchers studying a variety of topics. In this study we use the metropolitan version of the AHS for three cities over fourteen years to compare owners' valuations with sales prices of houses that sold in the twelve months prior to an interview. We find that, on average, recent buyers report house values that are 8.4% higher than the stated sales prices. Further analysis indicates that these recent buyers, when compared with owners with longer tenure, overvalue their houses by 3.3%, on average. Thus, we find that the average owner overvalues his house by 5.1%. Also, differences between sales prices and owners' valuations are not related to particular characteristics of the house, occupants (other than length of tenure), or neighborhood. Thus, the use of the owners' valuations will result in accurate estimates of house price indexes and will provide reliable estimates of the prices of house and neighborhood characteristics. Copyright American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nguyen-Hoang, Phuong & Yinger, John, 2011. "The capitalization of school quality into house values: A review," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 30-48, March.
- Callan Windsor & Gianni La Cava & James Hansen, 2014. "Home Price Beliefs in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers, Reserve Bank of Australia rdp2014-04, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Martijn I. DrÃƒÂ¶es & W.H.J. Hassink, 2009. "Sale price expectations and mortgage commitment: inaccuracy versus price setting behaviour," Working Papers, Utrecht School of Economics 09-24, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Fesselmeyer, Le Kien Eric & Ying, Seah Kiat, 2012.
"Changes in the White-Black house value distribution gap from 1997 to 2005,"
ERES, European Real Estate Society (ERES)
eres2012_167, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Fesselmeyer, Eric & Le, Kien T. & Seah, Kiat Ying, 2013. "Changes in the white–black house value distribution gap from 1997 to 2005," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 132-141.
- Thomas Hansen & Britt Slagsvold & TorbjÃ¸rn Moum, 2008. "Financial Satisfaction in Old Age: A Satisfaction Paradox or a Result of Accumulated Wealth?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 323-347, November.
- Smith, Marc T. & Murray, Margaret S. & O'Dell, William, 2003. "Estimating the Need for Single Family Rehabilitation," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 33(2).
- Shan, Hui, 2011.
"The effect of capital gains taxation on home sales: Evidence from the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 177-188.
- Shan, Hui, 2011. "The effect of capital gains taxation on home sales: Evidence from the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-2), pages 177-188, February.
- Hui Shan, 2008. "The effect of capital gains taxation on home sales: evidence from the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2008-53, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:tcd:tcduee:tep051 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frick, Joachim R. & Grabka, Markus M. & Smeeding, Timothy M. & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2010.
"Distributional Effects of Imputed Rents in Five European Countries,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 167-179.
- Frick, Joachim R. & Grabka, Markus M. & Smeeding, Timothy M. & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2010. "Distributional effects of imputed rents in five European countries," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 167-179, September.
- Banzhaf, H. Spencer & Farooque, Omar, 2013.
"Interjurisdictional housing prices and spatial amenities: Which measures of housing prices reflect local public goods?,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 635-648.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & Omar Farooque, 2012. "Interjurisdictional Housing Prices and Spatial Amenities: Which Measures of Housing Prices Reflect Local Public Goods?," NBER Working Papers 17809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bradford Case & Susan Wachter, 2005. "Residential real estate price indices as financial soundness indicators: methodological issues," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Real estate indicators and financial stability, volume 21, pages 197-211 Bank for International Settlements.
- EiniÃ¶, Mikko & Kaustia, Markku & Puttonen, Vesa, 2008. "Price setting and the reluctance to realize losses in apartment markets," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 19-34, February.
- Zabel, Jeffrey E., 2004. "The demand for housing services," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 16-35, March.
- Figari, Francesco & Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos & Verbist, Gerlinde & Zantomio, Francesca, 2012.
"Taxing Home Ownership: Distributional Effects of Including Net Imputed Rent in Taxable Income,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6493, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francesco Figari & Alari Paulus & Holly Sutherland & Panos Tsakloglou & Gerlinde Verbist & Francesca Zantomio, 2012. "Taxing home ownership: distributional effects of including net imputed rent in taxable income," DEOS Working Papers 1209, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Figari, Francesco & Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos & Verbist, Gerlinde & Zantomio, Francesca, 2012. "Taxing home ownership: distributional effects of including net imputed rent in taxable income," EUROMOD Working Papers EM4/12, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Tuukka Saarimaa, 2008. "Owner-Occupied Housing and Demand for Risky Financial Assets: Some Finnish Evidence," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 22-38, Spring.
- Cunningham, Chris & Reed, Robert R., 2013. "Negative equity and wages," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 841-849.
- Harding, John P. & Miceli, Thomas J. & Sirmans, C. F., 2000. "Deficiency Judgments and Borrower Maintenance: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 267-285, December.
- Ronan C. Lyons, 2013. "Inside a bubble and crash: Evidence from the valuation of amenities," Trinity Economics Papers, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics tep0513, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.