Dynamic Gains from International Trade with Imperfect Competition and Market Power
AbstractThis paper revisits the gains from trade under imperfect competition by explicitly modeling strategic competition and entry. The papers highlights a welfare cost of imperfect competition, due to inefficiently high entry. Through increasing competition, international trade lowers price-cost markups and reduces excessive entry. This adds on a "competitive" channel for gains from trade to the well-known "product diversity" channel from previous literature. Both channels will increase the return to investment and raise the steady-state capital stock. An alternative case is possible, however, where there is inefficiently low entry. In that case, trade tends to be "anticompetitive," raising price-cost markups and encouraging increased entry. Copyright 2001 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ester Faia, 2009.
"Oligopolistic Competition and Optimal Monetary Policy,"
Kiel Working Papers
1552, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Faia, Ester, 2012. "Oligopolistic competition and optimal monetary policy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1760-1774.
- Lewis, Vivien & Poilly, Céline, 2012. "Firm entry, markups and the monetary transmission mechanism," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(7), pages 670-685.
- Colciago, Andrea & Etro, Federico, 2007.
"Real Business Cycles with Cournot Competition and Endogenous Entry,"
7326, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Feb 2008.
- Colciago, Andrea & Etro, Federico, 2010. "Real business cycles with Cournot competition and endogenous entry," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1101-1117, December.
- Andrea Colciago & Federico Etro, 2007. "Real Business Cycles with Cournot Competition and Endogenous Entry," Working Papers 135, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.