Regional unemployment in Turkey
AbstractHigh unemployment rates are a concern for a country, existence of high regional unemployment differentials is another. Turkey has both. This paper using spatial and nonparametric techniques documents the wide regional unemployment disparities in Turkey from 1980 to 2000. Data indicate that the provincial unemployment rates are quite persistent and the gap across different regions widens even further with spatial clusters emerging across the country. The evidence indicates that human capital and demand deficiency are the sources of observed disparity across provinces. Furthermore, the sources of unemployment differentials have changed over time. Copyright (c) 2009 the author(s). Journal compilation (c) 2009 RSAI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 88 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1056-8190
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Firat Bilgel & Burhan Can Karahasan, 2013.
"“The Economic Costs of Separatist Terrorism in Turkey”,"
AQR Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group
201314, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Nov 2013.
- Firat Bilgel & Burhan Can Karahasan, 2013. "“The Economic Costs of Separatist Terrorism in Turkey”," IREA Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics 201322, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Nov 2013.
- Davide Luca & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2014. "Electoral politics and regional development. Assessing the geographical allocation of public investment in Turkey," Working Papers, Universidade de Vigo, GEN - Governance and Economics research Network 1402, Universidade de Vigo, GEN - Governance and Economics research Network.
- Toros, Emre, 2012. "Forecasting Turkish local elections," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 813-821.
- Davide Luca, 2013. "Regional development goals and distributive politics in the allocation of Turkey?s central investments: socioeconomic criteria, parties and legislators? personal networks," ERSA conference papers ersa13p981, European Regional Science Association.
- Ana Maria DIAZ ESCOBAR, 2011. "Spatial Unemployment Differentials in Colombia," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales), UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) 2011014, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Giray GOZGOR, 2013. "Unemployment Persistence and Inflation Convergence: Evidence from Regions of Turkey," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(1), pages 55-64.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.