AbstractRankings of countries have become of great interest to the business community, governments and academics. They provide single and composite indicators on the competitiveness and growth prospects of countries. This article presents the rankings of the World Economic Forum, the International Institute for Management Development, the Fraser Institute, the Heritage Foundation and the Bertelsmann Foundation. We conclude that although the rankings provide useful information their methodology is in general rudimentary and calls for further improvement. Government policy should be cautious when drawing conclusions from such rankings. Copyright 2008 die Autoren Journal compilation 2008, Verein für Socialpolitik und Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Verein für Socialpolitik in its journal Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6493
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta & Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Summary Indicators of Product Market Regulation with an Extension to Employment Protection Legislation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 226, OECD Publishing.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 2001. "Competitiveness Indices and Developing Countries: An Economic Evaluation of the Global Competitiveness Report," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Michael Freudenberg, 2003. "Composite Indicators of Country Performance: A Critical Assessment," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2003/16, OECD Publishing.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output Per Worker Than Others?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 83-116, February.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?," NBER Working Papers 6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Ochel & Oliver Röhn, 2006. "Ranking of Countries - The WEF, IMD, Fraser and Heritage Indices," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 4(2), pages 48-60, 07.
- Heilemann, Ullrich, 2004. "Deutschland im internationalen Vergleich - einige Fragezeichen," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1998 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 84(12), pages 761-768.
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2004. "Lernen von anderen Ländern: Zum internationalen Vergleich und Transfer von Arbeitsmarktinstitutionen," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(2), pages 139-158, 05.
- Jürgen Wandel, 2011. "Business groups and competition in post-Soviet transition economies: The case of Russian “agroholdings”," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 403-450, December.
- Nick Hoffmann & Anja Rohwer, 2010. "DICE – eine Datenbank von institutionellen Regelungen im internationalen Vergleich," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 63(04), pages 31-39, 02.
- Wolfgang Ochel & Anja Rohwer, 2010. "Institutionen und Wachstum – ein Ranking für OECD-Länder," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 63(09), pages 25-31, 05.
- Theo Eicher & Wolfgang Ochel & Oliver Röhn & Anja Rohwer, 2008. "Institutionen und Wirtschaftswachstum in den OECD-Ländern," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 61(11), pages 28-36, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.