Official Foreign Exchange Intervention As A Coordinating Signal In The Dollar-Yen Market
AbstractI examine the effectiveness of exchange rate intervention within the context of a Markov-switching model for the real dollar-yen exchange rate over the period April 1991-December 2003. The probability of switching between stable and unstable regimes depends nonlinearly upon the amount of intervention, the degree of misalignment and the duration of the regime. I find that intervention increases the probability of stability when the rate is misaligned, and that its influence grows with the degree of misalignment. However, intervention within a small neighbourhood of equilibrium will result in a greater probability of instability. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Pacific Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1361-374X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reitz, Stefan & Taylor, Mark P., 2008.
"The coordination channel of foreign exchange intervention: A nonlinear microstructural analysis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 55-76, January.
- Reitz, Stefan & Taylor, Mark P., 2006. "The coordination channel of foreign exchange intervention: a nonlinear microstructural analysis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Neely, Christopher J., 2008.
"Central bank authorities' beliefs about foreign exchange intervention,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2007. "Central bank authorities’ beliefs about foreign exchange intervention," Working Papers 2006-045, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Carlo Altavilla, 2008.
"The (UN-) stable relationship between the exchange rate and its fundamentals,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7), pages 539-544.
- Carlo Altavilla, 2006. "The (Un-) Stable Relationship between The Exchange rate and its Fundamentals," Discussion Papers 6_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Michael D. Bordo & Owen F. Humpage & Anna J. Schwartz, 2011. "On the evolution of U.S. foreign-exchange-market intervention: thesis, theory, and institutions," Working Paper 1113, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Reitz, Stefan & Ruelke, Jan C. & Taylor, Mark P., 2010.
"On the nonlinear influence of Reserve Bank of Australia interventions on exchange rates,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Stefan Reitz & Jan C. Rülke & Mark P. Taylor, 2011. "On the Nonlinear Influence of Reserve Bank of Australia Interventions on Exchange Rates," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(278), pages 465-479, 09.
- Stefan Reitz & M.P Taylor, 2006. "The Coordination Channel of Foreign Exchange Intervention," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 16, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Freyan Panthaki, 2007.
"The Influence of Actual and Unrequited Interventions,"
NBER Working Papers
12953, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kathryn M. E. Dominguez & Freyan Panthaki, 2007. "The influence of actual and unrequited interventions," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 171-200.
- Kathryn M. E. Dominguez & Freyan Panthaki, 2007. "The Influence of Actual and Unrequited Interventions," Working Papers 561, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hailong Jin & E. Kwan Choi, 2013. "China's Profits and Losses from Currency Intervention, 1994-2011," CESifo Working Paper Series 4551, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stefan Reitz , Mark P. Taylor, 2012.
"FX Intervention in the Yen-US Dollar Market: A Coordination Channel Perspective,"
Kiel Working Papers
1765, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Stefan Reitz & Mark Taylor, 2012. "FX intervention in the Yen-US dollar market: a coordination channel perspective," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 111-128, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.