Innovation and the Market Value of UK Firms, 1989-1995
AbstractUsing a new data set covering a sample of UK firms, 1989-1995, we study the impact of innovation and innovation assets on firm value. We find, for all reporting firms, that the now of R&D and the use of new technologies (as measured by investment in tangible assets) have significant positive impacts on market value. A patent count variable is insignificant in cross section estimates, although significant but impacting negatively in panel estimates. A sample of firms reporting their R&D for the first dine yields much larger estimates of the impact of R&D on market value than in the sample of all reporting firms. Copyright 2002 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 64 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mircea Epure, 2013. "Benchmarking for Routines and Organizational Knowledge," Working Papers 729, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Mircea Epure, 2012. "Benchmarking for routines and organizational knowledge," Economics Working Papers 1399, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2013.
- Hirschey, Mark & Richardson, Vernon J., 2004. "Are scientific indicators of patent quality useful to investors?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-107, January.
- Pacher, Sebastian, 2012. "The modern enterprise and the stock market: exploring the effects of uncertainty on the valuation and financing of innovation and intangibles," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-31195, Maastricht University.
- Wang, Chun-Hsien & Lu, Yung-Hsiang & Huang, Chin-Wei & Lee, Jun-Yen, 2013. "R&D, productivity, and market value: An empirical study from high-technology firms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 143-155.
- Pattikawa, L.H., 2007. "Longitudinal Study on the Performance of U.S. Pharmaceutical Firms: The Increasing Role of Marketing," Research Paper ERS-2007-020-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2004.
"The Value of Innovation: The Interaction of Competition, R&D and IP,"
Economics Series Working Papers
192, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Greenhalgh, Christine & Rogers, Mark, 2006. "The value of innovation: The interaction of competition, R&D and IP," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 562-580, May.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Alessandra Colombelli, 2011.
"The generation and exploitation of technological change: market value and total factor productivity,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 353-382, August.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Colombelli, Alessandra, 2009. "The Generation and Exploitation of Technological Change: Market Value and Total Factor Productivity," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200912, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.