Are Imports and Exports Cointegrated? An International Comparison
AbstractIn this paper we use the Johansen and Juselius cointegration technique to examine the long-run convergence between imports and exports for a number of industrialized countries. The results indicate that there exists a long-run steady-state relationship between imports and exports for most countries in the sample. The policy implications of our findings are that the countries are not in violation of their international budget constraints and, more importantly, there is no productivity gap between the domestic economy and the rest of the world, implying a lack of permanent technological shocks to the domestic economy. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Metroeconomica.
Volume (Year): 55 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0026-1386
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniel Ventosa-santaulària & Manuel Gómez-zaldívar & Lizet A Pérez, 2013. "Long-run relationship with shifts between Mexican current account revenues and expenditures," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1317-1327.
- Kalsoom Zulfiqar & Rukhsana Kausar, 2012. "Trade Liberalization, Exchange Rate And Export Growth In Pakistan," Far East Journal of Psychology and Business, Far East Research Centre, vol. 9(3), pages 32-47, November.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro & Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "An analysis of the trade balance for OECD countries using periodic integration and cointegration," Working Papers 1320, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- László Kónya, 2009. "The sustainability of the current account in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovenia," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 367-384, May.
- Dierk Herzer & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2005. "Are exports and imports of Chile cointegrated?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 111, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Camarero, Mariam & Carrion-i-Silvestre, Josep Lluís & Tamarit, Cecilio, 2013.
"Global imbalances and the intertemporal external budget constraint: A multicointegration approach,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5357-5372.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "Global imbalances and the Intertemporal External Budget Constraint: A multicointegration approach," Working Papers 1303, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- KONYA, Laszlo & SINGH, Jai Pal, 2008. "Are Indian Exports And Imports Cointegrated?," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(2), pages 177-186.
- Emmy, F.A. & Baharom, A.H. & Alias, Radam & Mohd Rusli, Yacob, 2009. "Trade Sustainability in the Forestry Domain: Evidence from Malaysia using Johansen and Bound Test Method," MPRA Paper 17487, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro & Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "The trade balance in euro countries: a natural case study of periodic integration with a changing mean," Working Papers 1321, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2006. "Are Imports And Exports In The Oic Member Countries Cointegrated? A Reexamination," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 14(1), pages 49-79, December.
- PERERA, Nelson & VARMA, Reetu, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis Of Sustainability Of Trade Deficit: Evidence From Sri Lanka," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(1), pages 79-92.
- Ayla Oğuş Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Intertemporal Solvency of Turkey’s Current Account,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 89-104, March.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Intertemporal solvency of Turkey’s current account," Working Papers 0805, Izmir University of Economics.
- Yoshihiro Hashiguchi & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2012.
"The sustainability of trade balances in sub-Saharan Africa: panel cointegration tests with cross-section dependence,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 161-165, February.
- HASHIGUCHI, Yoshihiro & HAMORI, Shigeyuki, 2010. "The sustainability of trade balances in Sub-Saharan Africa: panel cointegration tests with cross-section dependence," MPRA Paper 24054, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fengbao Yin & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2011. "The Sustainability of Trade Balances in China," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2090-2097.
- Enisan, Akinlo A. & Olufisayo, Akinlo O., 2009. "Stock market development and economic growth: Evidence from seven sub-Sahara African countries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 162-171.
- Ali, Sharafat, 2013. "Cointegration Analysis of Exports and Imports: The Case of Pakistan Economy," MPRA Paper 49295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Burak Güris & Burcu Kiran, 2011. "Foreign Trade Deficit Sustainability of Turkey," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 167-174.
- Dierk Herzer & Nowak-Lehmann Felicitas, 2006. "Is there a long-run relationship between exports and imports in Chile?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 981-986.
- Jamal HUSEIN, 2014. "Are Exports and Imports Cointegrated? Evidence from Nine MENA Countries," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 14(1), pages 123-132.
- Emmy, F.A. & Baharom, A.H. & Radam, Alias & Illisriyani, I., 2009. "Export and Import Cointegration in Forestry Domain: The Case of Malaysia," MPRA Paper 16673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nag, Biswajit & Mukherjee, Jaydeep, 2012. "The sustainability of trade deficits in the presence of endogenous structural breaks: Evidence from the Indian economy," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 519-526.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.