A Note on Hedging in ARCH and Stochastic Volatility Option Pricing Models
AbstractRecently, Duan (1995) proposed a GARCH option pricing formula and a corresponding hedging formula. In a similar ARCH-type model for the underlying asset, Kallsen and Taqqu (1994) arrived at a hedging formula different from Duan's although they concur on the pricing formula. In this note, we explain this difference by pointing out that the formula developed by Kallsen and Taqqu corresponds to the usual concept of hedging in the context of ARCH-type models. We argue, however, that Duan's formula has some appeal and we propose a stochastic volatility model that ensures its validity. We conclude by a comparison of ARCH-type and stochastic volatility option pricing models. Copyright Blackwell Publishers 1998.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 8 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0960-1627
Other versions of this item:
- René Garcia & Éric Renault, 1997. "A Note on Hedging in ARCH and Stochastic Volatility Option Pricing Models," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-13, CIRANO.
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Boyer, 1997. "Competition and Access in Telecoms: ECPR, Global Price Cap, and Auctions," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-03, CIRANO.
- Bauwens, Luc & Lubrano, Michel, 2002.
"Bayesian option pricing using asymmetric GARCH models,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 321-342, August.
- Bauwens, L. & Lubrano, M., 2000. "Bayesian Option Pricing using Asymmetric Garch Models," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 00a18, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- BAUWENS , Luc & LUBRANO, Michel, . "Bayesian option pricing using asymmetric GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1569, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GARCIA, René & RENAULT, Éric, 1998.
"Risk Aversion, Intertemporal Substitution, and Option Pricing,"
Cahiers de recherche
9801, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- René Garcia & Eric Renault, 1998. "Risk Aversion, Intertemporal Substitution, and Option Pricing," Working Papers 98-10, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Garcia, R. & Renault, E., 1998. "Risk Aversion, Intertemporal Substitution, and Option Pricing," Cahiers de recherche 9801, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- René Garcia & Éric Renault, 1998. "Risk Aversion, Intertemporal Substitution, and Option Pricing," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-02, CIRANO.
- Matthias Fengler & Helmut Herwartz & Christian Werner, 2010.
"A dynamic copula approach to recovering the index implied volatility skew,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010
1132, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen, revised Nov 2011.
- Matthias R. Fengler & Helmut Herwartz & Christian Werner, 2012. "A Dynamic Copula Approach to Recovering the Index Implied Volatility Skew," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 10(3), pages 457-493, June.
- Peter Christoffersen & Kris Jacobs, 2002. "Which Volatility Model for Option Valuation?," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-33, CIRANO.
- Bruno R\'emillard & Sylvain Rubenthaler, 2012. "Optimal hedging in discrete time," Papers 1211.5035, arXiv.org.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Peter Ritchken & Zhiqiang Sun, 2006. "Jump starting GARCH: pricing and hedging options with jumps in returns and volatilities," Working Paper 0619, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.