Monetary Policy and Asset Prices
AbstractHow should asset prices affect monetary policy, and how do they? It is argued that asset prices should not be included in the measure of inflation targeted by monetary policy, which should focus on the prices of goods and services for current consumption. The information yielded directly by asset prices, e.g. about inflation expectations and interest rate expectations, is examined. Finally, the question of what asset prices add to other indicators is considered, and it is concluded that asset prices matter for monetary policy because they help to inform judgments about inflation prospects. Copyright 2000 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd and The Victoria University of Manchester
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Manchester in its journal Manchester School.
Volume (Year): 68 (2000)
Issue (Month): 0 (Supplement)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1463-6786
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bhattacharjee, A. & Holly, S., 2005.
"Inflation Targeting, Committee Decision Making and Uncertainty: The case of the Bank of England’s MPC,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0530, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee & Sean Holly, 2005. "Inflation Targeting, Committee Decision Making and Uncertainty: The Case of the Bank of England’s MPC," CDMA Working Paper Series 200503, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee & Sean Holly, 2004. "Inflation Targeting, committee Decision Making and Uncertainty: The case of the Bank of England's MPC," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 63, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Sean Holly & Arnab Bhattacharjee, 2005. "Inflation Targeting, Committee Decision Making and Uncertainty: The case of the Bank of England's MPC," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 119, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christopher Allsopp & Amit Kara & Edward Nelson, 2006. "U.K. inflation targeting and the exchange rate," Working Papers 2006-030, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bredin, Don & Hyde, Stuart & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2005.
"European Monetary Policy Surprises: The Aggregate and Sectoral Stock Market Response,"
Research Technical Papers
10/RT/05, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Don Bredin & Stuart Hyde & Dirk Nitzsche & Gerard O'Reilly, 2009. "European monetary policy surprises: the aggregate and sectoral stock market response," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 156-171.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002.
"House prices, borrowing constraints and monetary policy in the business cycle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
542, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2004.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005. "House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 739-764, June.
- Bredin, Don & Hyde, Stuart & Reilly, Gerard O., 2010. "Monetary policy surprises and international bond markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 988-1002, October.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Leitemo, Kai, 2009.
"Identifying the interdependence between US monetary policy and the stock market,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 275-282, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Bjornland-Leitemo(2009) SVAR with short- and long-run restrictions," Statistical Software Components RTZ00016, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Leitemo, Kai, 2005. "Identifying the Interdependence between US Monetary Policy and the Stock Market," Memorandum 12/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Kai Leitemo, 2008. "Identifying the interdependence between US monetary policy and the stock market," Working Paper 2008/04, Norges Bank.
- Bjørnland , Hilde & Leitemo, Kai, 2005. "Identifying the interdependence between US monetary policy and the stock market," Research Discussion Papers 17/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Christopher Allsopp, 2002. "Macroeconomic Policy Rules in Theory and in Practice," Discussion Papers 10, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- H. Genberg, 2001. "Asset Prices, Monetary Policy and Macroeconomic Stability," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 64, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Jan Libich & Petr Stehlik, 2009. "Financial Instability Prevention," CAMA Working Papers 2009-14, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Sutherland, Alan, 2001. "Inflation Targeting in a Small Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2726, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- West, L.k. & Agbola, W.F., 2005. "Causality Links Between Asset Prices And Cash Rate In Australia," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(3), pages 69-86.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Jan Libich & Petr Stehlík, 2011.
"Macroprudential Policies and Financial Stability,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(277), pages 318-334, 06.
- Viñals, José, 2001. "Monetary Policy Issues in a Low Inflation Environment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen P Millard & Simon J Wells, 2003. "The role of asset prices in transmitting monetary and other shocks," Bank of England working papers 188, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.