Analysing Wage Differences between the USA and Germany Using Proportional Hazards Models
AbstractWe analyse differences between the wage distributions in the USA and Germany in 2001 for both women and men. The empirical analysis is based on the decomposition of differences using Cox's marginal (partial) likelihood. The approach based on rank invariant estimators such as Cox's is borrowed from the literature on failure time data. Donald et al. pioneered this approach in 2000. However, they did not use the full power of the semi-parametric approach. Instead, they argued for using a piecewise constant hazard rate model. We improve on their work by showing that the semi-parametric features of Cox's marginal likelihood are as appropriate for the analysis of wage decompositions and as easy to interpret. Moreover, we extend their approach by allowing for non-linear regression effects. We show empirically that this formulation both increases the flexibility of their approach and improves the discriminatory power between wage regimes. Copyright 2009 CEIS, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini and Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEIS in its journal LABOUR.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma
Phone: 0039 06 2040234
Fax: 0039 06 2020687
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1121-7081
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mussida, Chiara & Picchio, Matteo, 2012.
"The Gender Wage Gap by Education in Italy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6428, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mussida, C. & Picchio, M., 2012. "The Gender Wage Gap by Education in Italy," Discussion Paper 2012-021, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Chiara MUSSIDA & Matteo PICCHIO, 2012. "The Gender Wage Gap by Education in Italy," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2010.
"Gender Wage Gap: A Semi-Parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4783, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2011. "Gender wage gap: A semi-parametric approach with sample selection correction," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 564-578, October.
- Matteo PICCHIO & Chiara MUSSIDA, 2010. "Gender Wage Gap : A Semi-parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2010005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, M. & Mussida, C., 2010. "Gender Wage Gap: A Semi-Parametric Approach With Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Paper 2010-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.