The Structure of Wages by Firm Size: A Comparison of Canada and the USA
AbstractCross-country comparisons of the skill premium between USA and Canada show differences in the returns to higher education between the two countries since the 1980s. This paper analyses whether such differences could be related to differences in skill distribution and worker sorting across firm size between the two countries. Estimation of the wage structure by size for male non-unionized workers in the private sector reveals that selectivity effects on wages are present and similar in both countries. There are significant and substantial cross-country differences in the returns to education among large firms, especially for younger workers. Copyright 2009 CEIS, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini and Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEIS in its journal LABOUR.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma
Phone: 0039 06 2040234
Fax: 0039 06 2020687
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1121-7081
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Neuman, Shoshana & Ziderman, Adrian, 2006.
"Wage Mobility in Israel: The Effect of Sectoral Concentration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2335, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ana Cardoso & Shoshana Neuman & Adrian Ziderman, 2010. "Wage Mobility in Israel: The Effect of Sectoral Concentration," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 146-161, June.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Neuman, Shoshana & Ziderman, Adrian, 2007. "Wage Mobility in Israel: The Effect of Sectoral Concentration," CEPR Discussion Papers 6609, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Shoshana Neuman & Adrian Ziderman, 2009. "Wage Mobility in Israel: The Effect of Sectoral Concentration," Working Papers 2009-20, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Jirjahn, Uwe & Kraft, Kornelius, 2008.
"Teamwork and Intra-Firm Wage Dispersion among Blue-Collar Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3291, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Uwe Jirjahn & Kornelius Kraft, 2010. "Teamwork And Intra-Firm Wage Dispersion Among Blue-Collar Workers," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 57(4), pages 404-429, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.