ICT Innovation and Economic Performance: The Role of Financial Intermediation
AbstractThis article considers the relationship between finance and the contribution of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to macroeconomic performance. The general characteristics of ICT firms, especially their often "high risk, high return" nature, suggest equity finance is more appropriate than debt finance. Also, the prevalence of information asymmetries tends to favour internal finance and venture capital with management participation. For a group of countries, we analyse correlations between financial structure and the ICT contribution to economic growth. Our results support the view that a market-oriented financial system and a well-developed venture capital market are key factors stimulating the emergence of the so-called "New Economy". This helps explain the considerable gap in productivity growth between the United States and Europe in the second half of the 1990s. Copyright 2002 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 55 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adeline Saillard & Thomas Url, 2011. "Venture capital in bank - and market - based economies," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00593962, HAL.
- Adeline Saillard & Thomas Url, 2011. "Venture Capital in Bank- and Market-based Economies," WIFO Working Papers 389, WIFO.
- Adeline Saillard & Thomas Url, 2011. "Venture capital in bank - and market - based economies," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11025, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo de Haan, 2005. "Financing the New Economy: Are ICT Firms Really That Different?," DNB Working Papers 077, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.