Promoting Product Market Competition to Reduce Unemployment in Europe: An Alternative Approach?
AbstractIn this paper, we employ general equilibrium reasoning to review whether product market reforms could help to reduce unemployment in Europe. We consider three potential effects of product market reforms: lowering markups, fostering productivity gains and inducing a more rapid expansion of the product mix. We argue that product market reforms will help to reduce unemployment under most circumstances. Productivity improvements will increase aggregate unemployment only if workers are immobile and unemployment is concentrated in a few sectors. Employment effects remain positive or are even reinforced if wage adjustments occur. Using recent industry studies, we suggest that product market reforms can reduce unemployment significantly, but labor market reforms remain unavoidable nevertheless. Copyright 2000 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 53 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruno Amable & Donatella Gatti, 2005.
"Is Perfection Optimal? Employment and Product Market Competition,"
- Amable, Bruno & Gatti, Donatella, 2000. "Is perfection optimal? Employment and product market competition," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 00-304, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Oliver Budzinski & JÃ¼rgen-Peter Kretschmer, 2009.
"Horizontal Mergers, Involuntary Unemployment, and Welfare,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics, Philipps-UniversitÃ¤t Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung)
200907, Philipps-UniversitÃ¤t Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Oliver Budzinski & JÃ¼rgen-Peter Kretschmer, 2009. "Horizontal Mergers, Involuntary Unemployment, and Welfare," Working Papers, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics 90/09, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Petro Peretto, 2006.
"The Employment (and Output) of Nations: Theory and Policy Implications,"
2006 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics
280, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pietro F. Peretto, 2010. "The Employment (and Output) of Nations: Theory and Policy Implications," Working Papers, Duke University, Department of Economics 10-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Pietro F. Peretto, 2006. "The Employment (and Output) of Nations: Theory and Policy Implications," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_014, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- NatÃ¡lia Pimenta Monteiro, 2004. "Regulatory reform and the Portuguese banking labour market: two decades later," NIPE Working Papers, NIPE - Universidade do Minho 10/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Ebell, Monique & Haefke, Christian, 2003.
"Product Market Deregulation and Labor Market Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
957, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Monique Ebell & Christian Haefke, 2002. "Product Market Deregulation and Labor Market Outcomes," Working Papers 02.08, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Monique Ebell & Christian Haefke, 2002. "Product market deregulation and labor market outcomes," Economics Working Papers 726, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 2003.
- Zhiqi Chen & Bo Zhao, 2010. "Unemployment and Product Market Competition in a Cournot Model with Efficiency Wage," Carleton Economic Papers 10-04, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Marco Arnone & Diego Scalise, 2005. "Macroeconomic Effects of Deregulation in Goods Market with Heterogeneous Firms," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 0512015, EconWPA.
- Jo Seldeslachts, 2002. "Interactions Between Product and Labour Market Reforms," UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC) 519.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC).
- Gersbach, Hans & Schniewind, Achim, 2002. "Uneven Technical Progress and Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 478, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kauppi , Heikki & Koskela , Erkki & Stenbacka , Rune, 2004.
"Equilibrium unemployment and investment under product and labour market imperfections,"
Research Discussion Papers
11/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Kauppi, Heikki & Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2004. "Equilibrium Unemployment and Investment Under Product and Labour Market Imperfections," IZA Discussion Papers 1058, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Klaus Weyerstrass & Johannes Jaenicke, 2011. "Is more competition conducive to the macroeconomic performance in the euro area?," Empirica, Springer, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 351-380, July.
- Amable, Bruno & Gatti, Donatella, 2001. "The Impact of Product Market Competition on Employment and Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 276, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erkki Koskela & Rune Stenbacka, 2005. "Product Market Competition, Profit Sharing and Equilibrium Unemployment," CESifo Working Paper Series 1603, CESifo Group Munich.
- Heikki Kauppi & Erkki Koskela & Rune Stenbacka, 2004. "Equilibrium Unemployment and Capital Intensity Under Product and Labor Market Imperfections," CESifo Working Paper Series 1343, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2012. "The relationship between product market competition and unemployment with profit sharing," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 291-297.
- Amable, Bruno & Gatti, Donatella, 2004. "Labour and Product Market Reforms: A Case for Policy Complementarity," IZA Discussion Papers 1190, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.