Externalities, Fixed Costs and Information
AbstractThe well-known theoretical solutions to the problem of externalities developed by Arthur C. Pigou and Ronald H. Coase--taxation according to measured preferences, bargaining under low transaction costs--have restated the problem of social cost, rather than addressed it: externalities exist where preferences are difficult to measure and transaction costs are high. Building on Kenneth J. Arrow's conjecture that the existence of externalities is equivalent to the nonexistence of markets, the article demonstrates that externalities are characterized by informational complexity and high transaction costs. As an appropriate response capable of addressing the complexity and the dynamic nature of externalities, institution-based approaches are presented. Copyright 1998 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 51 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
Other versions of this item:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keppler, Jan Horst, 2010. "« Going with Coase against Coase : The Dynamic Approach to the Internalization of External Effects »," MPRA Paper 30081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Keppler, Jan Horst, 2009.
"Barriers to Entryn : Abolishing the Barriers to Understanding,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/8524, Paris Dauphine University.
- Keppler, Jan Horst, 2009. "Barriers to entry : abolishing the barriers to understanding," MPRA Paper 44242, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.