Bargaining Structure, Wage Determination, and Wage Dispersion in 6 OECD Countries
AbstractThis paper compares the industry wage structure of Austria, Canada, Germany, Norway, Sweden, and the United States. Comparable micro wage equations are employed to calculate inequality across industries. The results suggest that the industry wage patterns are very similar in the analyzed countries but the size of the differentials varies considerably: more centralized bargaining structures tend to narrow pay differentials. Copyright 1994 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 47 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
Other versions of this item:
- Zweimuller, Josef & Barth, Erling, 1992. "Bargaining Structure, Wage Determination, and Wage Dispersion in 6 OECD-Countries," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt5hk5x5hk, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1987. "Inter-Industry Wage Differences and Theories of Wage Determination," NBER Working Papers 2271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wagner, Joachim, 1990. "An international comparison of sector wage differentials," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 93-97, September.
- Alan B. Krueger & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Reflections on the Inter-Industry Wage Structure," NBER Working Papers 1968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1992. "Interindustry Wage Differentials: Evidence from Sweden and a Comparison with the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1341-49, December.
- William T. Dickens, 1986. "Wages, Employment and the Threat of Collective Action by Workers," NBER Working Papers 1856, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Zweimuller, Josef, 1992. "Survey non-response and biases in wage regressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 105-109, May.
- Gannon, Brenda & Plasman, Robert & Rycx, Francois & Tojerow, Ilan, 2005.
"Inter-Industry Wage Differentials and the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from European Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1563, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- François Rycx & Brenda Gannon & Robert Plasman & Ilan Tojerow, 2007. "Inter-industry wage differentials and the gender wage gap: Evidence from European countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/779, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brenda Gannon & Robert Plasman & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2005. "Inter-industry wage differentials and the gender wage gap: evidence from European countries," DULBEA Working Papers 05-01.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arne Heise, 2006. "A Post-Kaleckian, Post-Olsonian Approach to Unemployment and Income Inequality in Modern Varieties of Capitalism," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 7(2), pages 357-383, November.
- Dhillon, Amrita & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 2002. "A generalised wage rigidity result," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 285-311, March.
- Adriana Marshall, 1999. "Wage Determination Regimes and Pay Inequality: A comparative study of Latin American countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 23-39.
- François Rycx & Robert Plasman, 2003. "Industry wage differentials and the bargaining regime in a corporatist country," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/787, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jose Maria Ramos Parreno & Fernando Sanchez Losada, 1999.
"The role of unions in an endogenous growth model with human capital,"
Working Papers in Economics
57, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Ramos Parreno, Jose Maria & Sanchez-Losada, Fernando, 2002. "The role of unions in an endogenous growth model with human capital," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-192, June.
- Gruetter, Max & Lalive, Rafael, 2004.
"The Importance of Firms in Wage Determination,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1367, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000.
"Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-job Search and Persistent Unemployment,"
Working Paper Series
2000:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2005. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Eriksson, S. & Gottfries, N., 2000. "Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-Job Search and Persistent Unemployment," Papers 2000:3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- François Rycx & Robert Plasman, 2001. "Collective bargaining and poverty: a cross-national perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/795, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Wolfgang Pollan, 2009. "How large are wage differentials in Austria?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 389-406, November.
- Gaston, N., 2000. "Unions and the Decentralisation of Collective Bargaining in a Globalising World," ISER Discussion Paper 0495, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Joop Hartog & Pedro Pereira & JosÃ© Vieira, 2000. "Inter-industry Wage Dispersion in Portugal," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 353-364, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.