Is Banking a Natural Monopoly?
AbstractThis paper reviews the arguments behind claims that banking is a natural monopoly. There are economies in reserve-holding and asset diversification, but the marginal return to scale tends to fall as the bank grows, and there is not particular reason to expect these economies to be large enough to produce a natural monopoly. The paper then examines three spurious arguments for natural monopoly--the arguments (1) that competitive note issue would lead to inflation, and that economies of (2) standardization and (3) "confidence" make banking a natural monopoly. The first argument presupposes that competition has already been suppressed, the second is not a natural monopoly argument at all, and the third suffers from other drawbacks. The conclusion that banking is not a natural monopoly is supported by the evidence from historical banking systems and by a large volume of empirical work on economies of scale in banking. Copyright 1992 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 45 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Doris Neu Berger, 1998. "Industrial Organization of Banking: A Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 97-118.
- Neuberger, Doris, 1997. "Structure, Conduct and Performance in Banking Markets," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 12, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Eleni Dalla & Erotokritos Varelas, 2013. "Monetary Policy and the Behavior of a Monopolistic Bank: A Theoretical Approach," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(11), pages 1439-1450, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.