A Time-Series Approach to Test the Productivity Bias Hypothesis in Purchasing Power Parity
AbstractMost previous studies have used cross-sectional data to test the "productivity bias hypothesis." They have all failed to support the hypothesis except one. In this paper, the author reexamines the hypothesis by relying upon time-series data and cointegration technique. Out of four countries (France, Italy, Japan, and the United Kingdom) for which the cointegration approach could be applied, at least three of them (Italy, Japan, and the United Kingdom) yielded empirical results supporting the productivity bias hypothesis. Copyright 1992 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 45 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Gelan, Abera, 2006. "Black market exchange rate and the productivity bias hypothesis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 243-249, May.
- Josip Tica & Ivo Družić, 2006. "The Harrod-Balassa-Samuelson Effect: A Survey of Empirical Evidence," EFZG Working Papers Series 0607, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb.
- Lee, Daniel Y., 1999. "Purchasing power parity and dynamic error correction: Evidence from Asia Pacific economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 199-212, June.
- Bob Beachill & Geoff Pugh, 1998. "Monetary Cooperation in Europe and the Problem of Differential Productivity Growth: an argument for a 'two-speed' Europe," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 445-457.
- Agnes Benassy-Quere & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013.
"The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4082, CESifo Group Munich.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-3, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2012. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra European Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers 2012-37, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13001, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane COULIBALY, 2014. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," PSE - G-MOND WORKING PAPERS hal-00961713, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00786095 is not listed on IDEAS
- Razzaque H. Bhatti, 1997. "Do Expectations Play Any Role in Determining Pak Rupee Exchange Rates?," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 263-273.
- Imed Drine & Christophe Rault, 2005. "Can the Balassa-Samuelson theory explain long-run real exchange rate movements in OECD countries?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 519-530.
- Drine, I. & Rault, Ch., 2004. "Does the Balassa-Samuelson Hypothesis Hold for Asian Countries?. An Empirical Analysis using Panel Data and Cointegration Tests," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(4).
- Josheski, Dushko & Lazarov, Darko & Fotov, Risto & Koteski, Cane, 2011. "IS-LM model for US economy: testing in JMULTI," MPRA Paper 34024, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00786095, HAL.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane COULIBALY, 2014. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00961713, HAL.
- Ahmad, Sultan, 1992. "Regression estimates of per capital gross domestic product based on purchasing power parities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 956, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.