Stagflation and Shortageflation: A Comparative Approach
AbstractThis paper compares inflation and unemployment in western mark et economies with the repressed inflation and persistent shortages co mmon in centrally-planned economies. Stagflation and shortageflation, the latter defined as inflation accompanied by shortages, have much in common, as is developed here using a similar theoretical structure Measures of stagflation for the western economies and shortageflati on for the eastern European socialist countries suggest a new "miser y index" that is largest for Italy and Poland and smallest for West and East Germany. Furthermore, where relative prices fail to reflect relative scarcities, queuing, gluts, and other allocative inefficienc ies can slow growth. Copyright 1987 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 40 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kolodko, Grzegorz W., 2010. "The Great Transformation 1989-2029: Could It Have Been Better? Will It Be Better?," Working Paper Series wp2010-40, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kolodko, Grzegorz W., 2009. "A Two-thirds Rate of Success: Polish Transformation and Economic Development, 1989-2008," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kazimierz Stanczak, 1992. "A Note on the Benefits of Inflation in the Economies with Price Controls and the Cash-In-Advance Black Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 665, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kazimierz Stanczak, 1992. "Price Controls, Inflation, and Welfare in the Steady-State," UCLA Economics Working Papers 684, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Rocha, Roberto de Rezende, 1991. "Stabilization programs in Eastern Europe : a comparative analysis of the Polish and Yugoslav programs of 1990," Policy Research Working Paper Series 732, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.