Commitment and Lapse Behavior in Long‐Term Insurance: A Case Study
AbstractThis paper presents a case study of a portfolio of individual long-term insurance contracts sold by a Spanish mutual company. We describe the risk levels, the rating structure and the implied cross-subsidies on a portfolio of policies providing health, life and long-term care insurance. We show evidence of reclassification risk through the history of disability spells. We also analyze the lapse behavior and seek to provide a rationale for the portfolio's dynamics. Lastly, we draw conclusions regarding the design of such contracts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The American Risk and Insurance Association in its journal The Journal of Risk and Insurance.
Volume (Year): 78 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jean Pinquet & Montserrat Guillén & Mercedes Ayuso, 2011. "Commitment and Lapse Behavior in Long-Term Insurance: A Case Study," Post-Print hal-00374303, HAL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wenan Fei & Claude Fluet & Harris Schlesinger, 2008.
"Uncertain Bequest Needs and Long-Term Insurance Contracts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2505, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wenan Fei & Claude Fluet & Harris Schlesinger, 2007. "Uncertain Bequest Needs and Long-Term Insurance Contracts," Cahiers de recherche 0742, CIRPEE.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2000.
"The Role of Commitment in Dynamic Contracts: Evidence from Life Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
7470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2003. "The Role Of Commitment In Dynamic Contracts: Evidence From Life Insurance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 299-327, February.
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N., 1991.
"Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation : Extention to and Evidence From Insurance Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
9134, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dionne, Georges & Doherty, Neil A, 1994. "Adverse Selection, Commitment, and Renegotiation: Extension to and Evidence from Insurance Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 209-35, April.
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N.A., 1993. "Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation: Extension to and Evidence from Insurance Markets," Papers 9301, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N., 1991. "Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation : Extention to and Evidence From Insurance Markets," Cahiers de recherche 9134, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kunreuther, Howard & Pauly, Mark, 1985. "Market equilibrium with private knowledge : An insurance example," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 269-288, April.
- Pauly, Mark V & Kunreuther, Howard & Hirth, Richard, 1995. "Guaranteed Renewability in Insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 143-56, March.
- David C. Webb, 2009. "Asymmetric Information, Long-Term Care Insurance, and Annuities: The Case for Bundled Contracts," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(1), pages 53-85.
- J. Pinquet, 1997. "Experience rating through heterogeneous models," THEMA Working Papers 97-25, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jean Pinquet & Guillén Montserrat, 2008.
"Long-Term Care: Risk Description of a Spanish Portfolio and Economic Analysis of the Timing of Insurance Purchase,"
- Montserrat Guill�n & Jean Pinquet, 2008. "Long-Term Care: Risk Description of a Spanish Portfolio and Economic Analysis of the Timing of Insurance Purchase," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(4), pages 659-672, October.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Amy Finkelstein, 2007.
"Why is the market for long-term care insurance so small?,"
in: Trans-Atlantic Public Economics Seminar (TAPES), Public Policy and Retirement, pages 1967-1991
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, Jeffrey R. & Finkelstein, Amy, 2007. "Why is the market for long-term care insurance so small?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(10), pages 1967-1991, November.
- Glenn Daily & Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2008. "Does the Secondary Life Insurance Market Threaten Dynamic Insurance?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 151-56, May.
- H. J. Smoluk, 2009. "Long-Term Disability Claims Rates and the Consumption-to-Wealth Ratio," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(1), pages 109-131.
- Michael K. McShane & Larry A. Cox, 2009. "Issuance Decisions and Strategic Focus: The Case of Long-Term Care Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(1), pages 87-108.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Amy Finkelstein, 2009. "The Private Market for Long-Term Care Insurance in the United States: A Review of the Evidence," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(1), pages 5-29.
- Christiansen, Marcus & Eling, Martin & Schmidt, Jan-Philipp & Zirkelbach, Lorenz, 2012. "Who is Changing Health Insurance Coverage? Empirical Evidence on Policyholder Dynamics," Working Papers on Finance 1223, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Dorothea Diers & Martin Eling & Christian Kraus & Andreas Reuß, 2012. "Market-consistent embedded value in non-life insurance: how to measure it and why," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(4), pages 320-346.
- Martin Eling & Michael Kochanski, 2013. "Research on lapse in life insurance: what has been done and what needs to be done?," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 14(2), pages 392-413, July.
- Eling, Martin & Kochanski, Michael, 2012. "Research on Lapse in Life Insurance – What Has Been Done and What Needs to Be Done?," Working Papers on Finance 1224, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.