Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets
AbstractNew international accounting standards require insurers to reflect the value of embedded options and guarantees in their products. Pricing techniques based on the Black and Scholes paradigm are often used; however, the hypotheses underneath this model are rarely met. We propose a framework that encompasses the most known sources of incompleteness. We show that the surrender option, joined with a wide range of claims embedded in insurance contracts, can be priced through our tool, and deliver hedging portfolios to mitigate the risk arising from their positions. We provide extensive empirical analysis to highlight the effect of incompleteness on the fair value of the option. Copyright (c) The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2010.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The American Risk and Insurance Association in its journal Journal of Risk and Insurance.
Volume (Year): 77 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Consiglio, Andrea & De Giovanni, Domenico, 2007. "Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2007-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weiyu Kuo & Chenghsien Tsai & Wei-Kuang Chen, 2003. "An Empirical Study on the Lapse Rate: The Cointegration Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(3), pages 489-508.
- Moore, Kristen S. & Young, Virginia R., 2003. "Pricing equity-linked pure endowments via the principle of equivalent utility," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 497-516, December.
- Antonio S. Mello & John E. Parsons, 1995. "Maturity Structure Of A Hedge Matters: Lessons From The Metallgesellschaft Debacle," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(1), pages 106-121.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000.
"Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Peter L›chte J›rgensen & Anders Grosen, . "Fair Valuation of Life Insurance Liabilities: The Impact of Interest Rate Guarantees, Surrender Options, and Bonus Policies," Management Working Papers 1999-1, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- David C. Porter & Carsten Tanggaard & Daniel G. Weaver & Wei Yu, 2008. "Dispersed Trading and the Prevention of Market Failure: the Case of the Copenhagen Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(2), pages 243-267.
- Anand, Amber & Tanggaard, Carsten & Weaver, Daniel G., 2009. "Paying for Market Quality," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(06), pages 1427-1457, December.
- Høg, Esben, 2008. "Volatility and realized quadratic variation of differenced returns : A wavelet method approach," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2008-06, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Jørgensen, Peter Løchte & De Giovanni, Domenico, 2008. "Time Charters with Purchase Options in Shipping: Valuation and Risk Management," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2008-05, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Eling, Martin & Kochanski, Michael, 2012. "Research on Lapse in Life Insurance – What Has Been Done and What Needs to Be Done?," Working Papers on Finance 1224, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.