Fair Valuation of a Guaranteed Life Insurance Participating Contract Embedding a Surrender Option
AbstractIn this article we deal with the problem of pricing a guaranteed life insurance participating policy, sold in the Italian market, which embeds a surrender option. This feature is an American-style put option that enables the policyholder to sell back the contract to the insurer at the cash surrender value. Employing a recursive binomial formula patterned after the Cox, Ross, and Rubinstein (1979) discrete option pricing model we compute, first of all, the total price of the contract, which also includes a compensation for the participation feature ("participation option," henceforth). Then this price is split into the value of three components: the "basic contract", the "participation option", and the "surrender option". The numerical implementation of the model allows us to catch some comparative statics properties and to tackle the problem of suitably fixing the contractual parameters in order to obtain the premium computed by insurance companies according to standard actuarial practice. Copyright The Journal of Risk and Insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The American Risk and Insurance Association in its journal The Journal of Risk and Insurance.
Volume (Year): 70 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Siu, Tak Kuen, 2005. "Fair valuation of participating policies with surrender options and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 533-552, December.
- Consiglio, Andrea & De Giovanni, Domenico, 2008. "Evaluation of insurance products with guarantee in incomplete markets," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 332-342, February.
- Bauer, Daniel & Kiesel, Rudiger & Kling, Alexander & Ru[ss], Jochen, 2006. "Risk-neutral valuation of participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 171-183, October.
- Gan, Guojun, 2013. "Application of data clustering and machine learning in variable annuity valuation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 795-801.
- Kling, Alexander & Richter, Andreas & Ru[ss], Jochen, 2007. "The interaction of guarantees, surplus distribution, and asset allocation in with-profit life insurance policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 164-178, January.
- Bohnert, Alexander & Gatzert, Nadine, 2012. "Analyzing surplus appropriation schemes in participating life insurance from the insurer’s and the policyholder’s perspective," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 64-78.
- Eling, Martin & Holder, Stefan, 2013. "The value of interest rate guarantees in participating life insurance contracts: Status quo and alternative product design," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 491-503.
- Kochanski, Michael, 2010. "Solvency capital requirement for German unit-linked insurance products," German Risk and Insurance Review (GRIR), University of Cologne, Department of Risk Management and Insurance, vol. 6(2), pages 33-70.
- Lin, Shih-Kuei & Lin, Chien-Hsiu & Chuang, Ming-Che & Chou, Chia-Yu, 2014. "A recursive formula for a participating contract embedding a surrender option under regime-switching model with jump risks: Evidence from stock indices," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 341-350.
- Eling, Martin & Kochanski, Michael, 2012.
"Research on Lapse in Life Insurance – What Has Been Done and What Needs to Be Done?,"
Working Papers on Finance
1224, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Martin Eling & Michael Kochanski, 2013. "Research on lapse in life insurance: what has been done and what needs to be done?," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 14(4), pages 392-413, July.
- De Giovanni, Domenico, 2007. "Lapse Rate Modeling: A Rational Expectation Approach," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2007-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Su, Karen C., 2010. "The conversion option in life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 437-442, June.
- Kling, Alexander & Richter, Andreas & Ruß, Jochen, 2006. "The Impact of Surplus Distribution on the Risk Exposure of With Profit Life Insurance Policies Including Interest Rate Guarantees," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 1220, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Fard, Farzad Alavi & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2013. "Pricing participating products with Markov-modulated jump–diffusion process: An efficient numerical PIDE approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 712-721.
- Gatzert, Nadine, 2008. "Asset management and surplus distribution strategies in life insurance: An examination with respect to risk pricing and risk measurement," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 839-849, April.
- Eling, Martin & Holder, Stefan, 2012. "The Value of Interest Rate Guarantees in Participating Life insurance Contracts: Status Quo and Alternative Product Design," Working Papers on Finance 1221, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Tak Siu & John Lau & Hailiang Yang, 2007. "On Valuing Participating Life Insurance Contracts with Conditional Heteroscedasticity," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 255-275, September.
- Bernard, Carole & MacKay, Anne & Muehlbeyer, Max, 2014. "Optimal surrender policy for variable annuity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 116-128.
- Zemp, Alexandra, 2011. "Risk comparison of different bonus distribution approaches in participating life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 249-264, September.
- Kassberger, Stefan & Kiesel, Rüdiger & Liebmann, Thomas, 2008. "Fair valuation of insurance contracts under Lévy process specifications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 419-433, February.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita, 2005. "Endogenous model of surrender conditions in equity-linked life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 270-296, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.