Technical Inefficiency and Public Capital in U.S. States: A Stochastic Frontier Approach
AbstractThis paper estimates a translog stochastic frontier production function in the analysis of all 48 contiguous U.S. states in the period 1970-1983, to attempt to measure and explain changes in technical efficiency. The model allows technical inefficiency to vary over time, and inefficiency effects to be a function of a set of explanatory variables in which the level and composition of public capital plays an important role. Results indicate that U.S. state inefficiency levels are significantly and positively correlated with the ratio of public capital to private capital. The proportion of public capital devoted to highways is negatively correlated with technical inefficiency, suggesting that not only the level but also the composition of public capital influences state efficiency. Copyright 2001 BlackwellPublishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 41 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009.
"Infrastructures and economic performance: a critical comparison across four approaches,"
18688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gianpiero Torrisi, 2010. "Infrastructures and Economic Performance: A Critical Comparison Across Four Approaches," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 86-96, June.
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume & Argiles, Josep M., 2004. "The influence of management accounting use on farm inefficiency," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(2), August.
- Brown, Stephen P. A. & Hayes, Kathy J. & Taylor, Lori L., 2003.
"State and Local Policy, Factor Markets, and Regional Growth,"
The Review of Regional Studies,
Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 33(1), pages 40-60.
- Stephen P. A. Brown & Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor, 2002. "State and local policy, factor markets and regional growth," Working Papers 0202, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Pedro Macedo & Elvira Silva, 2010. "A stochastic production frontier model with a translog specification using the generalized maximum entropy estimator," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 587-596.
- Rodríguez Vález, J. & Arias Sampedro, C., 2004. "Desbordamiento espacial de la productividad de las infraestructuras: una aplicación con fronteras estocásticas," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 1-16, Diciembre.
- Sharma, Subhash C. & Sylwester, Kevin & Margono, Heru, 2007. "Decomposition of total factor productivity growth in U.S. states," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 215-241, May.
- Loaiza Quintero, Osmar Leandro & Franco Vásquez, Liliana Yaned, 2012.
"Un estudio acerca de los determinantes de la productividad y la ineficiencia técnica en la industria colombiana, 1992-2007
[Determinants of productivity and technical inefficiency in Colombia’s ," MPRA Paper 47736, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Jun 2013.
- Brock, Gregory & German-Soto, Vicente, 2013. "Regional industrial growth in Mexico: Do human capital and infrastructure matter?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 228-242.
- Heru Margono & Subhash Sharma & Kevin Sylwester & Usama Al-Qalawi, 2009. "Technical efficiency and productivity analysis in Indonesian provincial economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 663-672.
- Mª Jesús Delgado Rodríguez & Inmaculada Alvarez Ayuso, 2004. "Capital público y eficiencia productiva: evidencia para la UE-15," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 168(1), pages 27-46, marzo.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:30:y:2010:i:1:p:587-596 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bertarelli Silvia, 2006. "Capitale pubblico e crescita: una sintesi critica," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 361-398.
- Metin KARADAG, 2010. "The Impact of Public Capital on the Efficiency of Private Manufacturing Industry at the Regional Level," Ege Academic Review, Ege University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 10(4), pages 1167-1174.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009. "Public infrastructure: definition, classification and measurement issues," MPRA Paper 12990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.