Finding an unknown number of multivariate outliers
AbstractWe use the forward search to provide robust Mahalanobis distances to detect the presence of outliers in a sample of multivariate normal data. Theoretical results on order statistics and on estimation in truncated samples provide the distribution of our test statistic. We also introduce several new robust distances with associated distributional results. Comparisons of our procedure with tests using other robust Mahalanobis distances show the good size and high power of our procedure. We also provide a unification of results on correction factors for estimation from truncated samples. Copyright (c) 2009 Royal Statistical Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Statistical Society in its journal Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology).
Volume (Year): 71 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 12 Errol Street, London EC1Y 8LX, United Kingdom
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1369-7412
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luigi Grossi & Fabrizio Laurini, 2011. "Robust estimation of efficient mean–variance frontiers," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 3-22, April.
- Domenico Perrotta & Marco Riani & Francesca Torti, 2009. "New robust dynamic plots for regression mixture detection," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 263-279, December.
- Cerioli, Andrea & Farcomeni, Alessio, 2011. "Error rates for multivariate outlier detection," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 544-553, January.
- Søren Johansen & Bent Nielsen, 2013.
"Asymptotic analysis of the Forward Search,"
13-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Soren Johansen, 2013. "Asymptotic analysis of the Forward Search," Economics Series Working Papers 2013-W02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Søren Johansen & Bent Nielsen, 2013. "Asymptotic analysis of the Forward Search," CREATES Research Papers 2013-05, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Bent Nielsen & Søren Johansen, 2013. "Asymptotic analysis of the Forward Search," Economics Papers 2013-W02, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Menjoge, Rajiv S. & Welsch, Roy E., 2010. "A diagnostic method for simultaneous feature selection and outlier identification in linear regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3181-3193, December.
- Cerioli, Andrea & Farcomeni, Alessio & Riani, Marco, 2013. "Robust distances for outlier-free goodness-of-fit testing," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 29-45.
- Bellini, Tiziano & Riani, Marco, 2012. "Robust analysis of default intensity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3276-3285.
- Salvatore Ingrassia & Simona Minotti & Giorgio Vittadini, 2012.
"Local Statistical Modeling via a Cluster-Weighted Approach with Elliptical Distributions,"
Journal of Classification,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 363-401, October.
- Salvatore Ingrassia & Simona Caterina Minotti & Giorgio Vittadini, 2011. "Local Statistical Modeling via Cluster-Weighted Approach with Elliptical Distributions," Working Papers 20111001, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica.
- Kirschstein, Thomas & Liebscher, Steffen & Becker, Claudia, 2013. "Robust estimation of location and scatter by pruning the minimum spanning tree," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 173-184.
- Riani, Marco & Atkinson, Anthony C., 2010. "Robust model selection with flexible trimming," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3300-3312, December.
- Valentin Todorov & Matthias Templ & Peter Filzmoser, 2011. "Detection of multivariate outliers in business survey data with incomplete information," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 37-56, April.
- Jan Kalina, 2012. "On Multivariate Methods in Robust Econometrics," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(1), pages 69-82.
- Tiziano Bellini, 2010. "Detecting atypical observations in financial data: the forward search for elliptical copulas," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 287-299, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.