An Empirical Analysis of Canadian Merger Policy
AbstractThe merger provisions of the new Competition Act (1986) brought significant changes to Canada's merger environment but little is known regarding the application of the provisions by the Bureau of Competition Policy. In this paper, the decision-making process has been approximated by an ordered probit model. The estimated ordered probit results indicate that the Director of Investigation and Research has applied the merger provisions in a consistent manner and in accordance with modern industrial organization economics. Although market share and concentration are important determinants of decisions, they are not the only factors considered. Copyright 1993 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bergman, Mats A. & Jakobsson, Maria & Razo, Carlos, 2003.
"An Econometric Analysis of the European Commission's Merger Decisions,"
Working Paper Series
2003:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Bergman, Mats A. & Jakobsson, Maria & Razo, Carlos, 2005. "An econometric analysis of the European Commission's merger decisions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 717-737, December.
- Avalos, Marcos & De Hoyos, Rafael E., 2008.
"An empirical analysis of Mexican merger policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4527, The World Bank.
- Robert Breunig & Flavio M. Menezes, 2008.
"An Empirical Investigation of the Mergers Decision Process in Australia,"
Discussion Papers Series
382, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Robert Breunig & Flavio M. Menezes & Kelvin Jui Keng Tan, 2012. "An Empirical Investigation of the Mergers Decision Process in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(283), pages 459-475, December.
- Richard J. Grimbeek & Sunel Grimbeek & Steven F. Koch, 2011.
"The Consistency of Merger Decisions in a Developing Country: The South African Competition Commission,"
201117, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Sunel Grimbeek & Steven F. Koch & Richard J. Grimbeek, 2012. "The Consistency of Merger Decisions in a Developing Country: The South African Competition Commission," Working Papers 286, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Tomaso Duso & Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik RÃ¶ller, 2007.
"The Political Economy of European Merger Control: Evidence using Stock Market Data,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 50, pages 455-489.
- Duso, Tomaso & Neven, Damien J & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2003. "The Political Economy of European Merger Control: Evidence Using Stock Market Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3880, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tomaso Duso & Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2002. "The Political Economy of European Merger Control: Evidence using Stock Market Data," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-34, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Joan Canton & Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2007. "Environmental regulation and mergers within the eco-industry," Working Papers 2007/01, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Patrice Bougette & Stéphane Turolla, 2006.
"Merger Remedies at the European Commission: A Multinomial Logit Analysis,"
06-08, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Feb 2008.
- Bougette, Patrice & Turolla, Stéphane, 2006. "Merger Remedies at the European Commission: A Multinomial Logit Analysis," MPRA Paper 2461, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joan Canton & Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2008.
"Environmental Regulation and Horizontal Mergers in the Eco-industry,"
2008.46, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Canton, Joan & David, Maia & Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, Bernard, 2012. "Environmental Regulation and Horizontal Mergers in the Eco-industry," Strategic Behavior and the Environment, now publishers, vol. 2(2), pages 107-132, July.
- Canton, Joan & David, Maia & Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard, 2008. "Environmental regulation and horizontal mergers in the eco-industry," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44456, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jordi Gual & Núria Mas, 2011. "Industry Characteristics and Anti-Competitive Behavior: Evidence from the European Commission’s Decisions," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 207-230, November.
- Davies, Stephen & Olczak, Matthew & Coles, Heather, 2011. "Tacit collusion, firm asymmetries and numbers: Evidence from EC merger cases," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 221-231, March.
- Mats Bergman & Malcolm Coate & Maria Jakobsson & Shawn Ulrick, 2010. "Comparing Merger Policies in the European Union and the United States," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 305-331, June.
- Patrice Bougette & Stéphane Turolla, 2008. "Market structures, political surroundings, and merger remedies: an empirical investigation of the EC’s decisions," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 125-150, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.