The Choice of Exchange-Rate Index and Domestic Price Passthrough
AbstractThis paper finds that the extent of real appreciation and real depreciation in the external value of the dollar since the late 70s has been overstated for most industries by the Federal Reserve Board's 10-country index, and is better proxied by the Dallas Fed's 101-country index. Earlier findings seem robust to the choice of index. Namely, changes in the real external value of the dollar have passed most fully into domestic prices of industries heavily reliant on imported inputs and producing import substitutes, and least fully into capital-intensive and concentrated industries and those protected by entry barriers. Copyright 1991 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2006.
"Passthrough Estimates and the Choice of an Exchange Rate Index,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 535-553, 09.
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2003. "Pass-through estimates and the choice of an exchange rate index," Working Papers 2003-004, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Peter Rowland, 2003. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case Of Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002683, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Robert Feinberg & Mieke Meurs, 2005. "Market Reform, Infrastructure and Exchange Rate Passthrough in Central and Eastern Europe," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 21-32.
- Oner Guncavdi & Benan Zeki Orbay, 2004. "The Effects of Foreign Exchange Rate Movements on Domestic Prices in the Turkish Manufacturing Industry," EconoQuantum, Revista de Economia y Negocios, Universidad de Guadalajara, Centro Universitario de Ciencias Economico Administrativas, Departamento de Metodos Cuantitativos y Maestria en Economia., vol. 1(1), pages 41-56, Julio-Dic.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Patricia S. Pollard & Jerram C. Betts, 1997. "To chain or not to chain trade-weighted exchange rate indexes," Working Papers 1996-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy,"
95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert Feenstra, 2004. "Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy," Working Papers 9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Department of Economics 95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Rowland, . "Exchange Rate Pass-Throught to Domestic Prices: The Case of Colombia," Borradores de Economia 254, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Feinberg, Robert M., 1996. "A simultaneous analysis of exchange-rate passthrough into prices of imperfectly substitutable domestic and import goods," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 407-416.
- Thorsten Hens, 1994. "Exchange Rates and Perfect Competition," Discussion Paper Serie A 466, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Patricia S. Pollard, 2000. "Exchange rate pass-through in U. S. manufacturing: exchange rate index choice and asymmetry issues," Working Papers 2000-022, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Peter Rowland, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case Of Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.