Managerial Ownership, Takeover Defenses, And Debt Financing
AbstractWe examine the effect of agency conflicts on debt financing and show that managerial ownership and its interaction with takeover defenses affect these decisions. We find that (1) the relation between leverage and takeover defenses becomes insignificant when we control for the interaction of these defenses with managerial ownership, and (2) firms with large managerial ownership operate at high debt levels unless they have a large number of takeover defenses. Therefore, a two-dimensional aspect of governance that includes the interaction between managerial ownership and takeover defenses is useful in understanding the effect of agency conflicts on firms' debt financing decisions. (c) 2008 The Southern Finance Association and the Southwestern Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 31 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty & Liyan Han & Boyan Liu, 2012.
"The effects of uncertainty and corporate governance on firms’ demand for liquidity,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 515-525, February.
- Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty & Liyan Han & Boyan Liu, 2009. "The Effects of Uncertainty and Corporate Governance on Firms' Demand for Liquidity," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 726, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hubert De La Bruslerie & Imen Latrous, 2012. "Ownership Structure and Debt Leverage: Empirical Test of a Trade-Off Hypothesis on French Firms," Post-Print halshs-00674250, HAL.
- Lookman, Aziz A., 2009. "Bank borrowing and corporate risk management," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 632-649, October.
- de La Bruslerie, Hubert & Latrous, Imen, 2012. "Ownership structure and debt leverage: Empirical test of a trade-off hypothesis on French firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 111-130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.