Deciphering the Motives for Equity Carve-Outs
AbstractI analyze 181 equity carve-outs to determine whether the transactions are motivated by potential efficiency improvements or by an opportunity to sell overvalued equity. Carve-out operating performance peaks at issue, declining significantly thereafter. Parents sell a greater percentage of shares when subsequent performance is poor. A negative relation also exists between long-term excess returns and the percentage of shares sold. If subsequent performance is correlated with the degree to which parent managers believe carve-out subsidiaries are over- or undervalued, results imply that many carve-outs are conducted, not to improve efficiency, but to sell potentially overvalued equity. 2003 The Southern Finance Association and the Southwestern Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Otsubo, Minoru, 2009. "Gains from equity carve-outs and subsequent events," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1207-1213, November.
- Salim Chahine & Mohamad Zeidan, 2014. "Corporate governance and market performance of parent firms following equity carve-out announcements," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 471-503, May.
- Otsubo, Minoru, 2013. "Value creation from financing in equity carve-outs: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 52-69.
- Perotti, Enrico & Rossetto, Silvia, 2007.
"Unlocking value: Equity carve outs as strategic real options,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 771-792, December.
- Perotti, Enrico C & Rossetto, Silvia, 2007. "Unlocking Value: Equity Carve outs as Strategic Real Options," CEPR Discussion Papers 6268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.