Momentum Strategies: Evidence from Pacific Basin Stock Markets
AbstractWe investigate the profitability of momentum investment strategy in six Asian stock markets. Unrestricted momentum investment strategies do not yield significant momentum profits. Although we find that a diversified country-neutral strategy generates small but statistically significant returns during 1981-1994, when we control for size and turnover effects we find that the country-neutral profits dissipate. Our evidence suggests that the factors that contribute to the momentum phenomenon in the United States are not prevalent in the Asian markets. The Southern Finance Association and the Southwestern Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 25 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kassimatis, Konstantinos & Spyrou, Spyros & Galariotis, Emilios, 2008. "Short-term patterns in government bond returns following market shocks: International evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 903-924, December.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew & Kho, Bong-Chan, 2004. "Momentum strategies: some bootstrap tests," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 509-536, September.
- Liu, Ming & Liu, Qianqiu & Ma, Tongshu, 2011. "The 52-week high momentum strategy in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 180-204, February.
- Mohammad Kazem Emadzade & Amir Hossein Hosseini & Mohammadali Shirazipour & Morteza Shokhmgar, 2013. "Investigating the Effect of Momentum Strategies on Investment Success in the Iran Stock Market," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(1), pages 149-157, January.
- Cheng, Joseph W. & Wu, Hiu-fung, 2010. "The profitability of momentum trading strategies: Empirical evidence from Hong Kong," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 527-538, October.
- Ramiah, Vikash & Cheng, Ka Yeung & Orriols, Julien & Naughton, Tony & Hallahan, Terrence, 2011. "Contrarian investment strategies work better for dually-traded stocks: Evidence from Hong Kong," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 140-156, January.
- McInish, Thomas H. & Ding, David K. & Pyun, Chong Soo & Wongchoti, Udomsak, 2008. "Short-horizon contrarian and momentum strategies in Asian markets: An integrated analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 312-329.
- Michael D. McKenzie, 2007. "Technical Trading Rules in Emerging Markets and the 1997 Asian Currency Crises," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(4), pages 46-73, August.
- Ding, David K. & McInish, Thomas H. & Wongchoti, Udomsak, 2008. "Behavioral explanations of trading volume and short-horizon price patterns: An investigation of seven Asia-Pacific markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 183-203, June.
- Gupta, Kartick & Locke, Stuart & Scrimgeour, Frank, 2010. "International comparison of returns from conventional, industrial and 52-week high momentum strategies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 423-435, October.
- Wei, J.R. & Huang, J.P. & Hui, P.M., 2013. "An agent-based model of stock markets incorporating momentum investors," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(12), pages 2728-2735.
- Morelli, David, 2014. "Momentum profits and conditional time-varying systematic risk," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 242-255.
- Naughton, Tony & Truong, Cameron & Veeraraghavan, Madhu, 2008. "Momentum strategies and stock returns: Chinese evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 476-492, September.
- Qiwei Chen & Ying Jiang & Yuan Li, 2012. "The state of the market and the contrarian strategy: evidence from China's stock market," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 89-108, September.
- Swanson, Peggy E. & Lin, Anchor Y., 2005. "Trading behavior and investment performance of U.S. investors in global equity markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 99-115, April.
- Bettman, Jenni L. & Maher, Thomas R.B. & Sault, Stephen J., 2009. "Momentum profits in the Australian equity market: A matched firm approach," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 565-579, November.
- Michael E. Drew & Madhu Veeraraghavan & Min Ye, 2004. "Do Momentum Strategies Work?: - Australian Evidence," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 169, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Shen, Qian & Szakmary, Andrew C. & Sharma, Subhash C., 2005. "Momentum and contrarian strategies in international stock markets: Further evidence," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 235-255, July.
- Chiao, Chaoshin & Chen, Shin-Hui & Hu, Jia-Ming, 2010. "Informational differences among institutional investors in an increasingly institutionalized market," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 118-129, March.
- Stefanescu, Razvan & Dumitriu, Ramona & Nistor, Costel, 2012. "Short term momentum and contrarian profits on the Bucharest Stock Exchange before and during the global crisis," MPRA Paper 42510, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Sep 2012.
- Qiang Gong & Ming Liu & Qianqiu Liu, 2011. "Is Momentum Really Momentum? International Evidence," Working Papers EMS_2011_22, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Luis Muga & Rafael Santamaría, 2009. "Momentum, market states and investor behavior," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 105-130, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.