The Survival of Initial Public Offerings in the Aftermarket
AbstractWe estimate an accelerated failure time (AFT) model to investigate the effects of several characteristics suggested as indicators of firm survival for initial public offerings (IPOs). The results indicate that the survival time for IPOs increases with size, age of the firm at the offering, the initial return, IPO activity level in the market, and the percentage of insider ownership, while the survival time decreases with increases in the general market level at the time of the offering and the number of risk characteristics. Additionally, the survival time is negatively affected if the IPO is in the computer and data, wholesale, restaurant, or airline industries and positively affected if the IPO is in the optical or drug industries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 20 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sophie Pommet, 2013. "The impact of venture capital investment duration on the survival of French IPOs," Working Papers halshs-00923957, HAL.
- Ioannis Asimakopoulos & Dionysis Lalountas & Costas Siriopoulos, 2008. "The determinants for the survival of firms in the Athens Exchange," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 31, pages 07-30, November.
- Chi, Jing & McWha, Matthew & Young, Martin, 2010. "The performance and the survivorship of New Zealand IPOs," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 172-180, June.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Canadian Public Venture Capital Market," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-08, CIRANO.
- Kashefi Pour, Eilnaz & Lasfer, Meziane, 2013. "Why do companies delist voluntarily from the stock market?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 4850-4860.
- Marinescu, M.M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "IT Companies in Rough Seas: Predictive Factors for Bankruptcy Risk in Romania," Serie Research Memoranda 0011, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Boudriga, Abdelkader & Ben Slama, Sarra & Boulila, Neila, 2009. "What determines IPO underpricing ? Evidence from a frontier market," MPRA Paper 18069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cristián Celis & Gustavo Maturana, 1998. "Initial Public Offerings In Chile," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 1(1), pages 7-31.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2011. "The survival and success of Canadian penny stock IPOs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 101-121, January.
- Burhop, Carsten & Chambers, David & Cheffins, Brian, 2014. "Regulating IPOs: Evidence from going public in London, 1900–1913," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 60-76.
- Sophie Pommet, 2013. "The Impact of Venture Capital Investment Duration on the Survival of French IPOs," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-32, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- De, Soumendra & Jindra, Jan, 2012. "Why newly listed firms become acquisition targets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2616-2631.
- Molina, Carlos A., 2002. "Predicting bank failures using a hazard model: the Venezuelan banking crisis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 31-50, March.
- Lili Sun, 2007. "A re-evaluation of auditors’ opinions versus statistical models in bankruptcy prediction," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 55-78, January.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Survival and Success of Canadian Penny Stock IPOs," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-28, CIRANO.
- Wiggenhorn, Joan & Gleason, Kimberly C. & Madura, Jeff, 2007. "Going public to pursue acquisitions," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 331-351, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.