The Real and Financial Implications of Corporate Hedging
AbstractWe study the implications of hedging for firm financing and investment. We do so using an extensive, hand-collected dataset on corporate hedging activities. Hedging can lower the odds of negative firm realizations, reducing the expected costs of financial distress. In theory, this should ease a firm's access to credit. Using a tax-based instrumental variable approach, we find that hedgers pay lower interest spreads and are less likely to have capital expenditure restrictions in their loan agreements. These favorable financing terms, in turn, allow hedgers to invest more. Our tests characterize two exact channels (cost of borrowing and investment restrictions) through which hedging affects corporate outcomes. The analysis we present shows that hedging has a first-order effect on firm financing and investment, and provides new insights into how hedging affects corporate wealth. More broadly, our study contributes novel evidence on the real consequences of financial contracting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 66 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Other versions of this item:
- Murillo Campello & Chen Lin & Yue Ma & Hong Zou, 2010. "The Real and Financial Implications of Corporate Hedging," NBER Working Papers 16622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell A. Petersen & S. Ramu Thiagarajan, 2000. "Risk Measurement and Hedging: With and Without Derivatives," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(4), Winter.
- Lin, Chen-Miao & Phillips, Richard D. & Smith, Stephen D., 2008. "Hedging, financing, and investment decisions: Theory and empirical tests," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1566-1582, August.
- Georges Dionne & Thouraya Triki, 2005. "Risk Management and Corporate Governance: the Importance of Independence and Financial Knowledge for the Board and the Audit Committee," Cahiers de recherche 0515, CIRPEE.
- G. Dionne & M. Garand, 2000.
"Risk Management Determinants Affecting Firms' Values in the Gold Mining Industry : New Empirical Results,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-48, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dionne, Georges & Garand, Martin, 2003. "Risk management determinants affecting firms' values in the gold mining industry: new empirical results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 43-52, April.
- Dionne, G. & Garand, M., 2000. "Risk Management Determinants Affecting Firms' Values in the Gold Mining Industry: New Empirical Results," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 00-11, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- Sudheer Chava & Michael R. Roberts, 2008. "How Does Financing Impact Investment? The Role of Debt Covenants," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2085-2121, October.
- Sudheer Chava & Dmitry Livdan & Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2009. "Do Shareholder Rights Affect the Cost of Bank Loans?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(8), pages 2973-3004, August.
- John R. Graham & Si Li & Jiaping Qiu, 2007.
"Corporate Misreporting and Bank Loan Contracting,"
NBER Working Papers
13708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, 1991.
"Forward Contracts and Firm Value: Investment Incentive and Contracting Effects,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 519-532, December.
- Bessembinder, H., 1989. "Forward Contracts And Firm Value: Investment Incentive And Contracting Effects," Papers 89-06, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Shane A. Johnson, 2003. "Debt Maturity and the Effects of Growth Opportunities and Liquidity Risk on Leverage," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 209-236.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Bruno Laranjeira & Scott Weisbenner, 2009. "Corporate Debt Maturity and the Real Effects of the 2007 Credit Crisis," NBER Working Papers 14990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Igor Cunha & Michael S. Weisbach, 2013.
"Corporate Liquidity Management: A Conceptual Framework and Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
19502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo & Cunha, Igor & Weisbach, Michael S., 2013. "Corporate Liquidity Management: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," Working Paper Series 2013-15, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Xavier Gine & James Vickery & Shawn Cole, 2013.
"How Does Risk Management Influence Production Decisions? Evidence From a Field Experiment,"
2013 Meeting Papers
676, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cole, Shawn & Gine, Xavier & Vickery, James, 2013. "How does risk management influence production decisions? evidence from a field experiment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6546, The World Bank.
- Lievenbrück, Martin & Schmid, Thomas, 2014. "Why do firms (not) hedge? — Novel evidence on cultural influence," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 92-106.
- Lin, Chen & Officer, Micah S. & Wang, Rui & Zou, Hong, 2013. "Directors' and officers' liability insurance and loan spreads," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 37-60.
- Mohamed Mnasri & Georges Dionne & Jean-Pierre Gueyie, 2013. "The Maturity Structure of Corporate Hedging: the Case of the U.S. Oil and Gas Industry," Cahiers de recherche 1337, CIRPEE.
- Cornaggia, Jess, 2013. "Does risk management matter? Evidence from the U.S. agricultural industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 419-440.
- Lin, Chen & Ma, Yue & Malatesta, Paul & Xuan, Yuhai, 2013. "Corporate ownership structure and the choice between bank debt and public debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 517-534.
- Georges Dionne & Marc Santugini, 2012. "Entry, Imperfect Competition, and Futures Market for the Input," Cahiers de recherche 1215, CIRPEE.
- Lin, Chen & Lin, Ping & Zou, Hong, 2012. "Does property rights protection affect corporate risk management strategy? Intra- and cross-country evidence," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 311-330.
- Brian Lucey & Britta Berghöfer, 2013. "Fuel Hedging, Operational Hedging and Risk Exposure– Evidence from the Global Airline Industry," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp433, IIIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.